• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i export a h2.64 with .mov file extension in premiere 2016?

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These settings are required by the station I'm sending to. It doesn't seem possible, I've tried ever possible scenario...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

h.264 in a MOV container can be a little wonky. Apple has been messing with QuickTime for a long time and it's not as universal as it once was. For delivery the standard world wide is h.264 MP4. Other MPEG based solutions are making progress (h.265) but for now h.264 is the most universal format. Changing the extension to .mov from .mp4 in a h.264 file does nothing at all to the file. QT players will utilize the same exact function to playback the footage because the playback engine does not loo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about changing the extension manually to MOV? works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a shot.
It's strange that this is not an option.
Also strange that WE DO NOT ACCEPT MP4S is written on my specs, and that's all Premiere seems to export to.

I worry that I'll courier the hard drive to them with the file, and it'll be wrong/obvious that it was just an MP4 with the file extension changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can ask them to test the file, that would be optimal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere Pro/Adobe Media Encoder export settings, you pick Quicktime as the Format, the appropriate Preset, then in the Video tab, click on "Video Codec" and set H.264.

The problem is there a lot of other choices.... do they have no other specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this solution in other forums, but H.264 is not an available codec for me in Premiere 2016. The only options are Apple Pro Res versions, some DV versions, DVCPRO and uncompressed. No H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extension change should work. I'm only familiar with the QT codecs missing in Windows. You are Mac, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Mac.

Ok, I'll go with that.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

h.264 in a MOV container can be a little wonky. Apple has been messing with QuickTime for a long time and it's not as universal as it once was. For delivery the standard world wide is h.264 MP4. Other MPEG based solutions are making progress (h.265) but for now h.264 is the most universal format. Changing the extension to .mov from .mp4 in a h.264 file does nothing at all to the file. QT players will utilize the same exact function to playback the footage because the playback engine does not look at the extension, it looks at the compression scheme. A client that demands a h.264 compressed .mov file and won't accept a h.264 mp4 probably does not understand what they are asking and unless they have a custom media player that will only open .mov files they are wasting your time.

Production and archival formats are a completely different animal. Any video intended for re-compression, further editing, additional processing or for archival storage should be visually lossless. There are a lot of options out there. Most of my clients prefer Cineware because it supports alpha channels and 10 bit color. Others use a variety of lossless formats from JPEG 2000 to  tiff and targa 32 bit image sequences. One client wants me to render Photoshop sequences. It all depends on what they are doing with the files after you deliver them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines