• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How many vinyl records do you have?

Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony Music announced they are bringing back vinyl.

Sony Will Start Making Vinyl Records Again In Japan, After A Nearly 30-Year Hiatus : The Two-Way : N...

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife and I each have about 100 vinyl LP albums, some vinyl singles, and a few 78s. which have been in a cabinet for about 30 years now.  I still have my turntable and analog amp.  I've used the amp on a regular basis, but haven't run the turntable in years.

I was saddened when I heard about 10 years ago that my mothers collection of 45s was in a storage unit in San Diego.

Unfortunately, it was not climate controlled.  So many classics (Nat King Cole, Doris Day, Buddy Hackett, and others) were lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have approx 600 + LPs and  a few EPs & 45s.  They are stored on bookcases in our garage which I hate to admit is NOT climate controlled.   But we don't have any other space for them.   I play them fairly often and they're still holding up.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have  a couple hundred vinyl records and a Dual 1009 in a cabinet. Went through a Deutsche Grammaphon phase in the 80s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the good days with the JOY of getting up every 7 songs to reset the music

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure, but certainly in the hundreds.  I have a fancy looking record deck that I made many years ago, but it is not currently working because I can't fix its power supply.  It uses a 250 volt synchronous motor — the same as is used on the Linn Sondek, but it drives on the outside of the platter so has to run faster than the standard 50hz.  I made a power supply that produced an adjustable output and gives the correct speed at around 93Hz, but I did this with help from the electronics side of our design team.  My background is mechanical engineering, and without their expertise and with no instrumentation (not even a scope), it has always stayed in the too hard basket.

So now we use a cheap as chips record deck that my wife plagued me forever to find and buy, but after an initial flurry of activity, she got bored and hasn't used it for many months.

I imagine I could find a half decent electronics expert to fix the power supply on my old deck if I put some effort into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably have a couple of hundred--but at present nothing to play them on.  I'm hoping it's just a belt off in my ancient turntable but it's a lot of screws to take out and at my age the days seem to go by far too quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 3 turntables.  But only one is in use right now.  Finding the right  cartridges/needles is a challenge though. 

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One... a 45rpm record about the Portland Timbers that was given out in 1975 as a promotion, when the team was created in the old NASL

I don't even have a player, so the record just sits on a shelf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now to ask the million dollar related question:  do any of you with vinyl actually think it sound better than digital?

I come from the sound side of things (my main Adobe project is Audition) and, although I can enjoy the classic sound of my vinyl, I'd never argue that it's a more accurate reproduction.  Most of the things that people like about the vinyl sound are, in fact, errors inherent in the format.  Note that I'm not talking about some of the low bitrate MP3s floating around--I'm thinking more of the original wave masters I produce (or at least very high bit rate MP3 versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinyl sounds warmer - almost comforting. So, possibly better for certain genres, but not more accurate - if that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hearing isn't that precise. I'd rather listen to the version without the "pops."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital is much brighter.  On our sound system, I invariably reduce reduce highs & increase lows to compensate for it.  With vinyl, I keep everything fairly neutral.  Maybe because that's what my ear is accustomed to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had about 300, but sold a lot at a recent garage sale. Just wanted to unload, as I was moving. I was selling them cheap, and one guy kept trying to get me to reduce the price for buying multiple albums, and I had to tell him flat out that just one of the albums he wanted to buy was worth more that the price he wanted to give me for all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zero. We lost all of ours in a flood 25 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that Barb.

Yea, Bob, my hearing isn't very good these days. I could use brighter highs to compensate for my hearing loss due to using power tools without proper hearing protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have all of my 33s and 45s. (No 78s.)

They are in the basement and I should find a home for them.

BarbBinder​, was that Hurricane Fran?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jane-e , I don't remember, anymore. It was in the Del Ray house. Great house, but that basement always flooded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines