• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Output Issue with Text

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to batch a PDF from 25 individual PSDs. I've been messing around with it for a few hours but it seems to have issues with italicized text, and occasional issues even with normal text.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 3.53.29 PM.png

This first image is a screenshot of the original text

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 3.53.00 PM.png

And this second one is how it looks in the PDF. All the italicized text has this appearance, and occasional capital letters in the regular text has this weird half-white appearance - perhaps 3 of them in a few hundred years.

I've tried different qualities of output, but it seems to happen to matter what settings I change during the process.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert the text Layers to Shape Layers by right click on the Text layer in the Layer Panel and Select : Convert to Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will make them no longer editable as text, yes? This is a live document that will be revised periodically. Converting 75+ text fields in 25 documents every time we need to publish a revision wouldn't be a viable solution for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some questions to try to get deeper into this problem.

1. How exactly do you make the PDF? Please describe all actions and settings used.

2. Suppose you flatten all the layers. Is the appearance of the text similar to the screen shot at its worst?

3. That bar in the capital C. Does that represent a boundary of something we can't obviously see?

4. The italic text. Is this an actual installed italic font, or is it faux italics?

5. You make it sound a bit random. Do you mean that repeating the same steps on the same file, unchanged, may give different results? Or it is consistent until you make a change or use a different file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. How exactly do you make the PDF? Please describe all actions and settings used.

I open all relevant files. Go to Automate PDF Presentation. Add all open files. Next.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.31.17 PM.png

Name the file, continue.

On the next screen, I've tried each of the presets, multiple versions of Acrobat for compatibility and with and without compression and/or web optimization and a couple of different standards.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 4.32.02 PM.png

2. Suppose you flatten all the layers. Is the appearance of the text similar to the screen shot at its worst?

Flattened, or rasterized or converted to shape, the text does fine. Our current solution is to batch export as JPG, close all the PSDs, then open all the JPGs and then create the PDF. That works, but it's a few extra minutes each time.

3. That bar in the capital C. Does that represent a boundary of something we can't obviously see?

That was a good question. I opened the file and checked all the boundaries just in case there was a text box boundary or lower layer object there, but there are none. In that place, the text layer is above a large shape layer giving the peach color, and that is on the empty background layer. Nothing else there.

4. The italic text. Is this an actual installed italic font, or is it faux italics?

Another good one. It looks like they've used Faux Italics. I took them off and switched to an actual italic font and that seems to have fixed that problem.

5. You make it sound a bit random. Do you mean that repeating the same steps on the same file, unchanged, may give different results? Or it is consistent until you make a change or use a different file?

There's nothing random except why certain letters are half-colored. Every export the same letters are half-white, but there's only 3-4 of them in total.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a small test using artboards, and put at least two problematic docs into each separate artboard. Then use File > Export > Artboards to PDF to see if this gives different results.

If you have Acrobat Pro or Illustrator or InDesign, you can use that to combine multiple documents into a single multi page PDF (however you would need to keep the original files around for future editing)… Again I’m not sure if this would provide different results or not.

P.S. I’ll spare you the sermon regarding using the proper tool for the job as there are valid reasons for creating PDF files that contain text in Photoshop, despite it’s shortcomings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are the settings you used to export as pdf? which version of Adobe Acrobat are you using to preview the file ?
Please provide screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes,

6. What version of Photoshop?

7. What is the size in PIXELS of the portion of the image we see in the first screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines