• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested styles are not applied

Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added a nested style to a paragraph style: one bold italic word at the beginning of the paragraph. But it never shows up as bold italic, and I have to apply the style with the character menu by hand. No style other than the paragraph style (which includes the nested style) is applied.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Here are the steps:

1. Select the paragraph.
  2. Assign the paragraph style (i.e., Body)
  3. Remove any cell styles (select the paragraph and Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Style panel)
  4. Select the first word and format it as bold and italic.
    InDesign CCss_016.png
  5. With the word still selected, save it as a character style. (Alt/Opt click the new style button outlined in orange above. Give it a name and click on OK).
    InDesign CCss_017.png

6. Remove the cell style (select the paragraph and Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Style panel). The st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unless you post screenshots of the paragraph style you have set, (which included nested style settings and the character styles defination) it is practically impossible to understand what might be causing the problem.

If you are sure everything is set correctly, you can start by reading this Drop caps and nested styles in InDesign  and cleaning your cache and preferences

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nested style is ONE word with a different style than the rest of the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen shot; I'm not sure if it's what you requested.nested style problem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I can't see from your screen shot:

1. Is that paragraph in the background using 8 Note as the paragraph style?
  2. Does the character style work outside of nested styles? If you select a string of text and assign the character style called Note or Source, does the text become bold and italic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps:

1. Select the paragraph.
  2. Assign the paragraph style (i.e., Body)
  3. Remove any cell styles (select the paragraph and Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Style panel)
  4. Select the first word and format it as bold and italic.
    InDesign CCss_016.png
  5. With the word still selected, save it as a character style. (Alt/Opt click the new style button outlined in orange above. Give it a name and click on OK).
    InDesign CCss_017.png

6. Remove the cell style (select the paragraph and Alt/Opt click on [None] in the Character Style panel). The style is available and works when you test it but it is not assigned to the paragraph.
    InDesign CCss_018.png
  7. Edit the paragraph style and click on Drop Caps and Nested Styles.
  8. Click on New Nested Style and set the style up as shown below. Turn preview on, and click in the empty area below the style name to preview the format.
    InDesign CCss_019.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, assuming you followed all the steps (and Barb's advice) and it's still not working, did you create the character style from within the Nested Styles/Paragraph Style dialog box? I'm aware of a long-standing bug when creating Character Styles from within the GREP Styles pane...where it just plain doesn't work. Try creating the char style via the char styles panel and choosing it from the nested styles dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the paragraph style is 8Note and yes I created the Bold word in the Character menu, then tried to apply it. Yes, it applies to a string of text. I've now changed the style but will try Barb's advice. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I've made the style of the single word small caps it seems to be functioning correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so it's working correctly now? Do you need any other help on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, in that I gave up and changed the style, yes. I wondered if it was because the Word document styles were overriding the InDesign styles, but that wasn't it. I'll try your earlier instructions later. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines