• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Lens correction question

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive me if this has been answered, but my searches provided lots of discussions that did not address my question.

How do I apply lens correction?

1. Open image (in this case JPEG - not RAW)
  2. Open Filter > Lens Correction
  3. The lens correction window opens
  4. The metadata attached to the file matches no known profile
  5. PS has pre-selected the make (in this case Nikon) but not model or lens
  6. I select the model (although the camera, a D3200, does not appear in the pulldown, the D3300 with the same sensor does appear, so I select that)
  7. I select the lens (although the lens, a Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 does not appear in the pulldown, I select what appears to be a generic version of this lens)
  8. PS has applied changes to the image in the Lens Correction window with each choice, although the Lens Profiles says "no matching profiles found").
  9. Using the "search online" feature returns no results that match this camera/lens combo
  10. Clicking "OK" does not apply the changes from the Lens Correction window to the main PS window.

What am I doing wrong?  Why are the changes in the Lens Correction window not being applied to the main window?
    Do I have to create a custom profile for this camera and all my lenses?

System info:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.1.2 (13.1.2 20130105.r.224 2013/01/05:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit

Version: 6.2

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3200 MHz

Built-in memory: 24574 MB

Free memory: 19102 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 22191 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 59 %

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 8

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenCL Version: 2.1

OpenGL Version: 2.1

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

OpenGL Memory: 6144 MB

Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Video Card Renderer: GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Display: 2

Display Bounds: top=0, left=1920, bottom=1080, right=3840

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Driver Version: 22.21.13.8233

Driver Date: 20170517000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Video Card Memory: 4095 MB

Serial number: (redacted)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

C:\, 465.7G, 266.5G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Required\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\

Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

Required plug-ins:

Lens Correction 13.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

It does.  I chose to shoot jpeg-only.  Which still has nothing to do with why does it seem as if Camera and Lens Adjustments are applied in Lens Correction but are not actually applied?"
Not trying to be snippy but message boards are full of:

QUESTION:
I have a problem with a program on my PC.

ANSWER:
Should have bought a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason even in the newest camera raw which is supposed to support that lens, camera raw always seems to think the lens is 14mm instead of 10mm.

Anyway, a solution for now with photoshop cs6 is to download and install the latest adobe dng converter, which installs the newest adobe lens profiles, which include your lens.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1

Then in Filter>Lens Correction, select the last Samsung on the Camera Make list and under Lens Profiles you should see the10 mm 2,8 listed and below is the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 listed under Lens Profiles.

The Rokinon and Samyang 10 mm f/2.8 are the same lens.

lc.jpg

sample photo used in screenshot from here:

Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS Lens Review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

I downloaded and installed as suggested.  There is a non-labeled 10mm f/2.8 listed when camera make is Samsung. 

However, the camera I am using is not a Samsung but a Nikon.  Lens Correction should be performing a correction for the image sensor based on camera make and model, if I am not mistaken, so selecting Samsung will not accurately correct the image.

I guess it's time I roll up my virtual sleeves and learn how to make corrections myself under the "custom" tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find a profile online, though a quick search didn't turn up one.

You can make your own profile using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/tag/the-adobe-lens-profile-creator-tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I'm making my own lens profiles.

Still doesn't answer the original question, but oh, well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you notice when it says no matching lens profile found everything up top is greyed out so nothing gets applied when clicking okay.

If you have raw files instead of jpeg, then in camera raw under Nikon that lens profile is listed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  As stated in the original question, though, I am not using RAW but JPEG.

I guess the question is: why does it seem as if Camera and Lens Adjustments are applied in Lens Correction but are not actually?  The image certainly changes onscreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you take a raw photo with your camera and try the camera raw dialog and see if the provided

Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 lens profile works.

You can always save the file as a jpeg afterwards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you'd have to convert the raw files to dngs before opening in cs6, but still camera raw files offer much more flexibility in processing options than jpegs do.

You already installed the dng converter, so you might as well test take a raw photo, convert to dng and see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to mark this question as answered since there is apparently no answer to the question "why does it seem as if Camera and Lens Adjustments are applied in Lens Correction but are not actually applied?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reason as stated before is if there is there is the no matching Lens Profile Found message the adjustments are not applied when clicking Ok.

No lens profile detected with the generic 10 mm lens, so the settings are greyed out and not applied when clicking Ok

lep-1.jpg

Switch the Camera Make to All or Nikon Corporation and then a profile is seemily detected although it's the wrong one, the top settings are not greyed out and the adjustment should show after clicking Ok.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 11.22.21 PM.png

You should at least try a test raw file converted to dng, open it in the camera raw dialog using File>Open and see if the right lens profile is detected under the Lens Correction tab.

Anyway, hopefully the lens profile you created with the adobe lens profile creator works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your camera should have the option to shoot both jpegs and camera raw files at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does.  I chose to shoot jpeg-only.  Which still has nothing to do with why does it seem as if Camera and Lens Adjustments are applied in Lens Correction but are not actually applied?"
Not trying to be snippy but message boards are full of:

QUESTION:
I have a problem with a program on my PC.

ANSWER:
Should have bought a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines