• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need advice for extracting a figure from complex background

Participant ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with footage of a drummer, and I need to isolate him and his kit from the background in order to apply effects on him and put a custom background.  However, the background is not one solid color, so keying happens in tiny splotches--not useful at all.  Is Mocha good for something like this?  Does anyone have tips on how best to achieve this? Rotoscoping is so difficult because of the complex shape of the kit, and the fact that the roto doesn't stay intact beyond the current frame (despite dragging the roto span to cover the duration.  Here's a jpeg for reference:

Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 9.13.42 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

The most efficient technique depends on the camera movement and action in the shot. Automated tools like RotoBrush are probably not going to work very well and hand roto is going to be painful and tedious. Sometimes you can use a combination of rotoscoping and procedural mattes to clean things up. If there is camera movement in the shot sometimes motion stabilizing the shot is helpful. From the frame you submitted you're not going to be able to do this with just one mask. You'll want to use a si

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can of course "roto" it - with masks and other tools by hand. You need to work on your techniques and generalized understanding of terms and processes, rather than getting locked into tools.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most efficient technique depends on the camera movement and action in the shot. Automated tools like RotoBrush are probably not going to work very well and hand roto is going to be painful and tedious. Sometimes you can use a combination of rotoscoping and procedural mattes to clean things up. If there is camera movement in the shot sometimes motion stabilizing the shot is helpful. From the frame you submitted you're not going to be able to do this with just one mask. You'll want to use a single mask for each area of detail. When I am faced with this kind of roto by hand work I usually put a contrasting color solid above the footage, switch the blend mode to screen so I can see through the matte, then start editing my masks. Maybe this will give you some ideas:

You also might be able to apply some severe color manipulation to a copy of the original footage to help generate a procedural matte for some of the edges. Something like this may be a place to start.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 4.56.15 AM.png

The black edges generated by the curves and Colorama adjustments would be combined with hand roto to generate a track matte that would be applied to the original footage. Anything you can do to help refine the edges will speed up rotoscoping.

I hope this helps. That is going to be an expensive shot to rotoscope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your answers. Right now I am trying to learn the proper rotoscoping through online videos since I admit I was using it intuitively.  I appreciate your help!  Also, I had not thought to use colorama, though I had tried curves. I am going to test out this technique later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines