• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export a PDF so that non-printing objects show but don't print?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been researching high and low about this and I'm still non the wiser!

I'm using Indesign CS5, and all I'd like to do is export my document to PDF including a non-printing layer so that the printers can see where to add the address to the flyer.

- I have tried changing the guide and text marks to buttons

- I've de-selected "print layer"

- I've attempted exporting to an interactive PDF

- I have played around with all of the "include" options in the exporting "general" section

Each time has resulted in either showing the non-printing object in the PDF which then shows when printing too, or doesn't show up in the PDF and doesn't print.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rebecca

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

It's usually sufficient to name the layer FPO (for position only), but you can also set the layer to non-printing in Acrobat, go to View> Show/Hide> Navigation Panes> Layers (or click on the pancake icon), then select the layer and go to the fly-out menu> Layer properties, and set the layer to never prints.

Non printing layer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's usually sufficient to name the layer FPO (for position only), but you can also set the layer to non-printing in Acrobat, go to View> Show/Hide> Navigation Panes> Layers (or click on the pancake icon), then select the layer and go to the fly-out menu> Layer properties, and set the layer to never prints.

Non printing layer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you so much!

Luke, I've been trying to do this for weeks, so I can't tell you how pleased I am!

Just to note, this only seems to work when exporting to "Adobe PDF Interactive" as this enables you to select "Create acrobat layers", whereas no layers show up when exporting to "Adobe PDF Print". There may be another way, but this way worked for me.

Aman, thanks for your help, but I've tried all of the above options in indesign, however none of them seem to show the non-printing layer without printing it once exported. Doing all of this in acrobat seems to work much better

Thanks all,

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. You can create Acrobat layers for print PDFs when you choose Acrobat 6 compatibility or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you set while creating a layer and what happens finally depends on the settings you choose in the print (Or export) options dialog box.

For example in the print dialog box, the below highlighted option would govern what is printed ultimately.

Generally from the Print Layers or Export Layers menu, we can choose which layers we want to print or include in the PDF:

1. All Layers: Prints or outputs all layers in your document, even if they are hidden or set as non-printing.

2. Visible Layers :Prints or outputs all visible layers, even if they are set as non-printing in Layer Options.

3. Visible & Printable Layers:Prints or outputs only those layers that are set as both visible and printable.

Do let us know what your settings are or if you were able to solve your issue with this information!

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines