Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

print multiple pocket size pages as booklet on A4 paper

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried to find an answer using Google and the FAQ here but I'm still no closer to finding a solution.

I am designing printable inserts for Travelers Notebooks. One very popular size is pocket size (3.5x5.5inch). I have designed them in InDesign - no problem there. I can print them as booklet but then most of my A4 sized printer paper is wasted as it is centered on the page.

I have tried designing one spread per page but then I have a problem with page creep and I'm not able to use booklet printing.

Is there a possibility to print 4 pocket pages (2 spreads)  on 1 A4 paper sheet and still be able to use the booklet printing option?

Does anyone know a good tutorial or blog or something which can help me? I'm grateful for every tip one might have in this matter!

Thanks,

Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing for proofing purposes or for a larger quantity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Ideally I want to print into a PDF file that I later can share online. People should be able to open this PDF and then print at their printer at home double sided to create a booklet / travelers notebook insert themselves.

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Ideally I want to print into a PDF file that I later can share online. People should be able to open this PDF and then print at their printer at home double sided to create a booklet / travelers notebook insert themselves.

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're being rather ambitious. Most people don't have duplex desk-top printers and wont want to trim a left themselves.

Best to modify your ambition and supply a PDF that people can print out on one side of one sheet(s) if they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek,

I don't share your opinion, I know for a fact that many home printers are able to print double sided and people do trim the pages down (join the planner community and you will see what people are creating from printables). But this is not the topic of my question and should be discussed elsewhere.

I'd like to know if there is any possibility to print 4 pages sized 3.5x5.5.inch in booklet page order on one A4 sized page.

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to InDesign, which would probably be a better application to produce this booklet in?

Keep your color mode in RGB.

By the way, you don't print to PDF you Save As in Photoshop and Export in InDesign. For desk to printers select the preset High Quality Print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign as written in my initial posting.

But I haven't found any option where I can arange 2 spreads (=4 pages)  on one A4 paper sheet to print (f.e. at my own printer) or export it that way into a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I'm with David on this issue.

You already express that you're having page creep problems producing homemade booklet proofs on your own system. Cranking out a PDF for others to print at their locations just pushes the problems you're having off of you and distributes them across your user base.

It's not uncommon for laser printers to have as much as a pica/sixth-of-an-inch page creep horizontally and/or vertically when "centering" a page to print on both sides with a duplex laser printer. If you're doing it yourself, with careful attention and experimentation, you can apply a little Kentucky windage and make adjustments to get reasonable results on your system.

But there's absolutely no way to predict how that will work on other people's systems. None.

Putting it simply, you're built to lose here.

But if you're determined to do this, and willing to deal with the vagaries and quality problems with the process, it is possible.

• First, forget about using the Build Booklet function to make it easy on you. The only way this is going to work is to manually build it on your own.

• Design your pocket-size InDesign pages as single pages in your 3 1/2" X 5 1/2" deep specification. That's seriously close on the long end of your 8.27" x 11.69" specification, because it doesn't account for "gripper space" for the paper to be pushed through various laser/inkjet printers.

• Loose tolerances can result in parts of the impression area not being printable, so use relatively wide margins. I'd suggest 1/2" high, low and outside, and 3/4" for the inside margin. Stay away from using things like page impression-width horizontal rules and bordering boxes which will clearly call out your crime when final pages are home-printed.

• Create a signature layout document with InDesign to account for your 4-up, 8-page imposition. For a good example — and a lot of important information on page imposition and book signatures, I'd suggest you go here and read/re-read it until you fully understand it:

Understanding and Working with Print Signatures - Designers Insights

• That works fine when you're doing an 8-page booklet. But what if you're doing a 56-page one? First, you need to create your booklet in multiples of eight. If you don't have a page count in a multiple of 8-pages in your pocket-sized InDesign document, you'll need to add blank pages until you do, and account for them when you transfer your pages to your signature layout InDesign document. Then you need to create a folding dummy to know how to position all those pages in your signature layout InDesign document. For a good explanation of how to create a folding dummy for your pocket booklets, go here:

Planning a layout with dummies

• This shows how to do an eight-page booklet. For a 56-page version, just fold up 7 sheets of paper, put them all together like a 56-page booklet and number them from 1-56.

• Now, copy/paste pages from your pocket-sized InDesign document into the corresponding positions in your signature layout InDesign document, based on your folding dummy. Print to test that your folded page signatures lay out the way you expect them to. You'll notice that you likely have misalignment both left-to-right and top-to-bottom in your folded/trimmed booklet. All your user base likely will too, though their misalignment problems will vary widely.

• Finally, after you create your correct signature layout InDesign document and turn it into a PDF, you're going to have to write some kind of explanation for your user base so they can understand how to create that 8-, 16-, 24-, 32-, 40-page (and on ad nauseum) booklet and get somewhat useful but questionable quality results themselves. In terms anybody can understand. Otherwise all your efforts are for naught.

All this is why folks are saying that you're built to lose here.

But if you're determined to take a shot, this is the best way I can think of for you to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Sandy on this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karin,

Did you check this help article/ tutorial: Create printer spreads for booklet printing in Adobe InDesign?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ohmnath,

While the video beautifully explains how save a Postscript file with printers spreads, I caution Karin that you need to pay close attention to the Page Setup. Make sure to pick the correct size paper (which can be any size available on you desktop printer) AND make sure the orientation of your layout matches the page size. Check out the Preview section of the Print Booklet dialog window, before saving the PS files. Otherwise the results in your final PDF will have half your layout outside the PDF file pages.

Another thing, I've seen many times on this forum, that you should not save Postscript files out of InDesign, Export directly. But I guess if your desperate and really need printers spreads in a PDF, this is a great solution.

All my best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I agree with you on this. I believe in the video tutorial, the machine used is a Mac and he might not have Adobe PDF as one of the printers. This adds an extra step. If you can directly choose PDF, it's better.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried designing one spread per page but then I have a problem with page creep and I'm not able to use booklet printing.

Is there a possibility to print 4 pocket pages (2 spreads)  on 1 A4 paper sheet and still be able to use the booklet printing option?

Creep? If the imposition is only 4 pages there would be no creep—it would be 4,1 on one side of a single sheet and 2,3 on the other side. Using the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD you could Distill a PDF of the 2 spreads with this Print setup

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 2.25.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I understand that the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD is no longer available for the Mac. If you know where it can be downloaded, please let me know.

All my best,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a link you can check: Save as PDF errors and issues in InDesign, Illustrator (Mac OS) . It has the download link for the PPD.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines