Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 unbearably slow on mac

Engaged ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

InDesign 2017 is so slow it's unusable, I get a 5-10sec spinning beachball every 5-10sec. I've seen similar posts so have tried:

• Disabling GPU acceleration
  • Turning off advanced type rendering
  • Splitting longer files
  • Using lower display resolution settings on links
  • Saving and working off the InDesign file locally

It's been like this since updating to CC 2017. My documents are not big (1-5 pages) and they're really nothing special, type, images and eps links.

Is this a known issue or are there a set of prefs which returns performance to 2016 levels?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

OSX 10.11.6

InDesign CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have also just tried packaging the file and links to the desktop and working locally but no change - it still freezes every few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello cmscss,

Im running InDeign CC 2017 in a mac book pro mid 2012 8 gb ram and OS 10.12. and its running without any problems. I've been working with all kind of files and interactive elements and no problem, I suggest you reinstall the application and check the configuration of your Mac. It can probably be just a matter of preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In addition to the workarounds you have tried, you can also try the below:

1. Upgrade to InDesign CC 2017.1(latest) from CC 2017.0

2. Clean cache and preferences and then start working Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

3. Save your file as .idml and then work on it Save documents in InDesign

Let me know if you still face the issue.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that InDesign CC 2017 does not do well if the preferences from any earlier versions of InDesign are present on your machine. As Aman said above you should trash your preferences and it would also not hurt to delete your cache files.

To delete preferences:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

To delete caches:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is puzzling - the slowness was a problem on previous versions, but CC 2017 seems to be quite responsive.

If nothing else works this is what I would recommend:

It may work - or it may not - and it's a fairly quick thing to do - if you have a decent speed internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies. Removing all preferences (including previous versions) seemed to work for a bit but now it's back to freezing every 5-10seconds.

I'm not sure that saving all docs as .idml is practical but I'll try that a few times and see how it goes - plus this happens with brand new, CC2017 created docs as well.

Failing that, uninstall, clean and reinstall seems like the final thing - right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any auto activation for fonts, like a Suitcase plug-in for example? If so, remove that to see if it solves your delays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've now moved all work to a Thunderbolt RAID and have completely erased and reinstalled my Mac without migrating user data.

But the problem persists on large jobs - the bigger the dimensions, the worse the slowdowns:

• Jobs involving billboards, bus sides and other large artwork cause the slowdowns
  • All large outdoor artwork is done to 10% of size at 300dpi
  • So a 12m x 3m billboard is set in InDesign to 1200mmx300mm with the image roughly 300dpi at that 10%
  • The flattened background JPEGs are around 50-100Mb, the rest are vector eps logos
  • If we use an .eps with an 8bit tiff preview for large imagery, the slowdowns are worse
  • Display performances makes no difference if it's fast or high quality
  • The more .eps vector graphics (logos etc) in the job, the worse everything is speed-wise

I get a spinning beach ball every 10secs. I can get 2 or 3 things done (if I'm quick) before the next slow down.

During the most recent slowdowns, activity monitor definitely showed issues with InDesign. See attached, maybe they'll provide someone with a clue? Although it states InDesign is not responding, after a few minutes it comes back for 10secs.

Basically, the bigger the document size, the bigger the problem - and when copying from several large open docs, the problems is unbearable.

To recap, this is a clean erase and reinstall of:

• Mac OSX 10.11.6
  • Adobe CC 2017 apps
  • Latest updates of all software
  • 2013 12 core Mac Pro with 64GB RAM and a 1TB Flash drive
  • No user data (prefs etc) were migrated
  • About as clean and fresh as you can get!

Screenshots from Activity Monitor during a slowdown. Everything else (like Finder, Mail, Calendar etc) run fine during the slowdown, just InDesign is stuck.

1. CPU

cpu.jpg

2. MEMORY

memory.jpg

3. ENERGY

energy.jpg

4. DISK

disk.jpg

5. NETWORK

network.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the autoactivation plug in for Suitcase Fusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've uninstalled Suitcase plugins for all CC apps. The only font service which is on is Adobe Typekit.

I also ran through various 'tips' blogs for speeding up InDesign so lots of things are now off like stuff from this list: https://indesignsecrets.com/6-tips-speed-up-indesign.php

Will see how things go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have improved the performances switching off the thumbnails in the options of page layout palette.

I don't see thumbnails any more (and that is frustrating when working on large illustrated books), but it doesn't freeze.

In my case it seems to be a problem related with video refresh.

I hope this can be useful also for you!

Best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, all the issues I see are related to large (1200mm) one page documents but yes, I've too have turned off page thumbs and a bunch of other stuff.

I have some outdoor projects to do next week so will see if the changes solve anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out Suitcase officially blows! I was convinced by a previous staff member that Suitcase was good but it's wasted a bit of time with several annoying issues, including this one.

Turning off auto font activation has solved all the speed issues sort far.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you contacted Extensis? Their support is excellent, IME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this link it worked for me

High CPU usage due to CEPHtmlEngine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

This is a bug caused by Adobe waiting to load a disconnected server where one of your 10 recent files is located.

The workaround is to set the number of recent files to 0.

There is a long thread about it here: Indesign CC 2015 hangs everytime I access the file menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You do realise the thread is about ID 2017 and your answer is about a year late ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines