• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ideal image size for book

Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned in a LR tutorial that a good image size for export was 1024 px for the long edge for photos on the web, and have been using with success.  However, I want to export files that I will reproduce in a book.  The images are of old documents and they will likely be reproduced in a book that is 8 1/2" x 11", so the images should be approximately that size but somewhat smaller to allow for captions.  How do I figure out what dimensions to give my photos during export to maximize their clarity and quality overall for this purpose?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

bartonlew  wrote

The images are of old documents and they will likely be reproduced in a book that is 8 1/2" x 11", so the images should be approximately that size but somewhat smaller to allow for captions.  How do I figure out what dimensions to give my photos during export to maximize their clarity and quality overall for this purpose?

Start by determining the printing requirements. For that you'll need to find out about the printer that will be used for the book. Some might require 200 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bartonlew,

Please refer the below link and check the section for image size

How to export Lightroom files to disk or CD

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bartonlew  wrote

The images are of old documents and they will likely be reproduced in a book that is 8 1/2" x 11", so the images should be approximately that size but somewhat smaller to allow for captions.  How do I figure out what dimensions to give my photos during export to maximize their clarity and quality overall for this purpose?

Start by determining the printing requirements. For that you'll need to find out about the printer that will be used for the book. Some might require 200 pixels per inch, others 240, 300, or 360 pixels per inch, so confirm with the printing service instead of guessing.

Once you know that, you know what to enter into the Export dialog box in Lightroom. For example, if you find out that images should be 300 ppi, then in the Export dialog box in Lightroom you'll use the Image Sizing section to specify that images be Width and Height be 8.5 inches by 11 inches at 300 pixels per inch.

You may have to run a test or two, maybe even involving ordering a test book, to figure out the best sharpening settings and tone/color correction for the specific printer, paper, and ink being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines