• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I use my LR6 upgrade on my second computer ?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've found topics about the same question from years ago, but none of them is answering the problem.. Can you help me ?

(I don't have a CC subscription, I only have LR as an "independant" software)

I bought LR3 in... 2011 ? and installed it on my computer.

In 2015, I've bought a LR6 upgrade, that I installed on the same computer. Up to then, no problem.

These last days I've had a new computer on which I want to install LR (still for my own use only), and I know I'm allowed to use the same serial numbers twice without having to pay again. Woohoo ! >>> I did it for LR3, and it worked perfectly. Then I tried to install the LR6 upgrade that I bought in 2015, and... it doesn't work : it says the serial number cannot be validated.

How is that possible ? I've used this LR6 upgrade only once, on my previous computer. Are the updates only valid once and not twice as the complete versions ?

The problem is that my actual camera doesn't work with LR3 (the raw files cannot be read by this old version), so I can't use LR at all on my new computer for now, and I did not take my old computer with me on the trip I'm now on. Tons of new pictures on my camera and I can't see / edit them, it's kind of frustrating... !

Thanks for your help if you have an answer,

Kind regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You purchased Lightroom 6 as an upgrade. So to install it on the new computer you will need both serial numbers, the Lightroom 3 serial number and the Lightroom 6 serial number. The installation process should prompt you for both numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for your answer !

The problem is that it asks me for "the serial number" (without saying anything about a specific one), and none of my two serial numbers works (the LR3-full or the LR6-update) 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, the usual method to install an upgrade version on a new computer is:

1. Install Lightroom 6 (the upgrade, standalone version),
  2. Enter the version 6 serial number,
  3. Enter the version 3 serial number when prompted

Is that what you are doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

It is NOT what I did... 😞

I started by installing LR3 on my new computer, and then tried to install the LR6 update (same order than what I did on my first computer).

So you think I should un-install LR3 and start again with LR6 first ? But then, my LR3 serial number will not work anymore since I'll have used it twice already (with one "useless" time) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

isabellej11972359  wrote

So you think I should un-install LR3 and start again with LR6 first ? But then, my LR3 serial number will not work anymore since I'll have used it twice already (with one "useless" time) ?

Give it a go. I don't know if Adobe tracks the use of Lightroom serial numbers that tightly. Software activation was not introduced into Lightroom until version 6. Earlier version serial numbers should still be accepted whether you've used them 2 or more times. Just try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it right now, it doesn't work better.

I un-installed LR3, and then installed the LR6 update.

I gave the LR6 serial number first (when they ask for "the serial number" without more details), and the same error message appears : translated from french, it gives approximately "We can't validate this serial number for Adobe Lightroom. Contact the customer care."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey isabellej11972359​,

Are you still encountering this issue? If so, could you please privately message me what serial number you're currently inputting when attempting to upgrade LR 3.0 to LR 6.0? Please also describe the workflow you're using to upgrade the versions.

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Melissa !

I am still encountering this issue yes, I've just sent you a DM Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines