Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layered Pdf

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there all

This is probably a stupid question nonetheless I am at my wits end so I have to ask or I will go crazy.

I have created a document in ID with interactivity, exported it as a layered pdf and managed to fix all the links/buttons within the document in Adobe DC so all is good up to this point.   Is there a way that the pages and layers cannot be seen and the document works like a static webpage?    I hope I have explained this well - I have checked everywhere for an answer to this and to be honest I am not even sure if it is possible......is this possible? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi maggieg,

If I understand your query you want your PDF to work as a webpage without any interactivity ?

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and No!   I want it to look and act like a static webpage but I don't want to lose the interactivity.    Is this the difference between an epub and a layered pdf  (I am aware that this may also be a stupid question).

All I want to see is the front page and force the person looking at it to connect to the other pages through the touch points and links....does that make sense or am i asking the impossible.

Rgds

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want to kill all navigation via the PDF reader and allow it only through buttons. While you may be able to accomplish that through Acrobat (and you'd need to check the Acrobat forum) there is no assurance that other readers or browsers will honor that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maggieg29823777  wrote

All I want to see is the front page and force the person looking at it to connect to the other pages through the touch points and links....does that make sense or am i asking the impossible.

As I understand it, you want users to see page one and make the other pages invisible unless they click a button. You cannot hide pages in Acrobat, but you can make layers visible or hidden *on opening* and then set buttons, bookmarks, links, etc. to make the layer do the opposite. For examples, if it is hidden, you can show it.

To do want I think you want, this is how it would work.

• Page 1 has a layer that is visible
  • All other pages have layers that are hidden on opening (Layers panel)
  • Users do something to show another layer on another page, making both the layer and the page visible
  • The user would open (for example) a 20-page document and see that page 1 had content followed by 19 blank pages.
  • If the user was trained, they could open the layers panel and show all, but most users would follow you navigation (I wouldn't!)

If you have more questions, please ask in the Acrobat forums.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think what you are looking for is to 'flatten' the layers so readers cannot see your layers, while retaining the interactivity.

You should save a copy of your file, choose the tool: Optimize PDF.

This should put all your layers into one and keep the interactivity.

Please confirm the version of your OS and InDesign/Acrobat to make sure we suggest the most appropriate answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric

InDesign CC 2017

Acrobat DC

Windows 7

Where is this "Optimize PDF" buzz whizzery you speak of??

Rgds

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have included a screenshot/Path.

Let me know if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eh yeah!  I found it alright but its a little confusing...could do with a leg up on this one....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I just found it....let me try your suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use not native Adobe Reader to open pdf than you can not see many features that you are include in this PDF. All non-Adobe readers is an evil.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this, but you will need to convert your InDesign pages to layers*.

You can call the layers "pages" in your navigation buttons, i.e the button labeled "Go to page 10" will actually take you to layer 10.

Be sure to include a button on every layer that will take you back to the start page. As Bob mentioned, not all PDF viewers will honor PDF layers.

Here is a link to a sample layered PDF with navigation buttons, and some basic instructions on page 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kksi4al82j8bkiv/PDF_Buttons.pdf.zip?dl=0

*Alternately, you can keep your InDesign pages, create a new InDesign document, and place the original InDesign pages into the corresponding layers of the new single page document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be a script (or password security options) to lock the full screen view. So the users could not open up other panels and access pages, links...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But again, will only work in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines