Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for specific website examples

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a specific type of website design. I'm looking for a brand identity creation where the website is an ambient of somewhat and every single piece of that ambient is associated to a product or a service of the company. for example: the company is a school of photography. the whole website is designed like a kitchen. the place for the cutlery is the section for "services". the oven is the section for "customized services", the sink  is the section for "courses" and so on. every single part of the kitchen represent a product/or a service of the company. Have you got any examples in your mind? Did you know how to call this kind of representation?

I remeber I've seen many sites with this kind of design but at the moment I can't find any of them. Thanks for your help, this search is making me crazy!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

The word you're looking to describe that type of design is skeumorphic where the elements of a site used some metaphor for the aesthetic. You might be able to find some images of past sites that represent the style, but it's likely those sites are no longer live. If you do a search for "best skeuomorphic web design," you should be able to find some examples. Here are a couple of lists I found:

http://www.downgraf.com/inspiration/20-awesome-examples-of-skeuomorphism-in-web-design/

Examples of Skeuomorphic UI Design on the Web - Frontendry

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean to post in the non-specific Lounge forum, or did you mean to ask in Dreamweaver or Muse web development forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a question for non-specific Lounge forum. I do not need support for any Adobe software, I'm looking for help from creatives and designers that may have seen these kind of websites. thank you John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those types of sites were popular when flash was a viable option to use for website creation, now though very few exist any longer, as flash is a big NO for sites open to the public.

You could do such a site using the html5 canvas for animations, but i personally would avoid such use due to possible time lag on such javascript animation frames. One or two would not present a problem, but more than that users using tablet devices will experiance 'jerky' animations on many devices. Then there is the problem of how such features translate to a small smartphone screen.

Another possibility is to use css animations, but again similar problems will have to be considered as previously described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks pziecina​! I'm just looking for examples, absolutely I do not want to build up a website in flash in the 2017! Even no animation, I'm just looking for an example to show to the agency I'm working with to explain better mine intention. Do you remember any of them? Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not certain about the ethics involved here, but in the CC Animate forum a user posted about a problem with animations, (i think it is mainly caused by using a js framework) but they did provide a link -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2355867

(in original post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also check out this link, (click on video preview) -

https://codecanyon.net/item/showcase-desktop-edge-animate/9267677

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for but see links below for some design inspiration.  You can do some amazing things with SVG now.

Web Design Trends for 2017

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do that possibly in Muse. But why?

The reason you can't find one is not only as someone above has posted that Flash simply isn't used much anymore but they are also non-responsive and very limited to one screen resolution. There are simply too many screen resolutions now to do something like that successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is the white rabbit (Muse made) = White Rabbit Creative

But I agree you should stay away from the old Flash designs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thanks for your replies, I appreciate your effort and help.

Just to clarify, I do not absolutely want to build up a website (and never ever in flash). Don't panic

I'm not looking for any kind of software support as well. I'm just asking you:

Is there anyone here that remember any company's website that has used elements of the page as part of an ambient

(e.g. the website is a box of cookies and each product/service is associated to a different cookie)?

Is there anyone able to provide some link? Thank all so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like many have said. It was at one time popular 10 years ago or longer. So you would be very hard pressed to find a live example any more. It just isn't done anymore.

The example that USSnorway gave is about as close as you can get but even it is not scalable to device sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad, thanks for sharing your opinion

I'd like to understand why everyone want to alert me on not using this kind of solution. I don't want use it. I need a list of that examples and that's it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

back in those days a monitor was X by Y and everyone had more or less the same device so you could assume your site will work for most people... thats the main difference between print and web design.

for layout options you could goto places like Deviantart and search for custom desktop layouts... there is a sub culture of astists that go in for this kind of thing but the designs are for local machines and not web browsers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Ussnorway, honestly I didn't understand what's the sense of this post. I'm so sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<I'd like to understand why everyone want to alert me on not using this kind of solution. I don't want use it. I need a list of that examples and that's it.>

Basically, you are asking us to provide you with examples of something that no longer exists.  Why? because it's not a practical approach for the modern web.  Nobody is doing that kind of thing anymore.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Yes Nancy, I know, but I've never said I want to use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are looking for would require a completely different way of creation than how it was previously done, as each viewport size would need a completely different way of presenting the UI to the user, and even though i do not know of any examples, it would be possible providing you can code, and are willing to work by trial and error.

However, as it would be almost a completely 'new' way of presenting the UI for rwd, it would take time, testing and require more modifications to ensure it works correctly for all users and devices than the avarage site. All this adds up to extra cost to your developer, who would naturally pass this on to yourself.

It is almost a given that your initial thoughts on how the UI would look and work, would not be as intuitive for end users as one would like, and any initial design presented to your client could not show the final product except at one given size, in a rough sense of looks, and functionality, if animations are required they would have to be kept very simple, added to gradually, and with a willingness to abandon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word you're looking to describe that type of design is skeumorphic where the elements of a site used some metaphor for the aesthetic. You might be able to find some images of past sites that represent the style, but it's likely those sites are no longer live. If you do a search for "best skeuomorphic web design," you should be able to find some examples. Here are a couple of lists I found:

http://www.downgraf.com/inspiration/20-awesome-examples-of-skeuomorphism-in-web-design/

Examples of Skeuomorphic UI Design on the Web - Frontendry

BTW, there is some discussion about a return of skeuomorphism for certain circumstances, so it doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with the examples. Designers often look to the past to get ideas for future uses, so I hope this helps you find some creative inspiration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice examples, Myra.  I clicked on a few and as you said, most are no longer live. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Myra,

thank you! I don't know if "skeumorphic" is the right word (because I remember another meaning associated to this term) but the example your links provide are cool and they are exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines