• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 .lrcat file "too new to be used"?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to upgrade Lightroom 5 to Lightroom 6 stand alone version. All seemed fine until I tried to reopen after the initial install. Lightroom cannot open my newly created Lightroom 6 catalog and says it "cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom."

Any idea why this would happen and how to fix?

I'm on Mac Mini running OS 10.12.5. I backed everything up before beginning the install. Had Lightroom 6 open successfully right after installation but then quit to rename from generic "lightroom catalog" to my usual naming format "L6 Master Catalog" leaving the ".lrcat" intact, of course.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Hi laurafitch,

You have upgraded to Lightroom CC/6 on your system and that has converted the Lightroom 5 catalog to a Lightroom CC/6 catalog. Which can only be opened, accessed, from Lightroom CC/6. It is not backwards compatible.

Also, refer: Catalog "Too New" to be opened by 5.7.1 error - HELP!

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 catalogs are not backward compatible with previous versions of Lightroom. The database engine is upgraded every time there is a major upgrade of Lightroom. The catalog is automatically upgraded to the new version, but the new version cannot be downgraded back to the previous older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi laurafitch,

You have upgraded to Lightroom CC/6 on your system and that has converted the Lightroom 5 catalog to a Lightroom CC/6 catalog. Which can only be opened, accessed, from Lightroom CC/6. It is not backwards compatible.

Also, refer: Catalog "Too New" to be opened by 5.7.1 error - HELP!

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that. I'm trying to open via my newly installed Lightroom 6 application. I, also, attempted to open by clicking on the new Lightroom 6 catalog file itself. Same error message.

I'm not clicking on Lightroom 5. I backed up that catalog and left the application on my Mac for now, but I am not attempting to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open Lightroom 6, and then go to Help > About Lightroom, which version does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't open now, that's the problem. But, this is the app I'm trying to open (the one highlighted by my cursor). It is definitely LR 6. You can see LR 5 beneath it.

L6app.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems that LR 5 is opening when you click the LR 6 shortcut.

I don't use a Mac, so somebody who does might be able to give you better advice, but I would first try to uninstall LR 5.

If that doesn't help, uninstall LR 6 as well. Then reinstall LR 6.

If that doesn't help either, uninstall both programs, then run the Adobe Cleaner Tool followed by a reinstall of LR 6.

Uninstalling will not affect the catalogs or your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before I saw this reply from Per Bernsten I cleared out then reinstalled LR 6 and that seems to have done it. I didn't know that uninstalling wouldn't affect catalogs, so thanks for that. Will be good to know in the future! I'm nervous whether I've truly fixed my LR 6 problem or not, but fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines