• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Bézier Pen tool in Adobe Illustrator Draw?

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the developers were thinking when they decided to omit the Bézier pen tool in Adobe Draw. It is the defining tool of Adobe Illustrator. It's the icon used in the Adobe Draw app and yet it is nowhere to be found in the toolset.

It makes perfect sense to make a clean break from outmoded input paradigms when developing apps for mobile vs desktop. But without a Bézier pen tool Adobe Draw is essentially Adobe Sketch with vector output. When an illustrator or designer friend asks me if Adobe has a vector drawing tool for iPad Pro I have to say, sadly "No."

Yes, I could buy an app from one of the many third-party developers who have rushed in to fill Adobe's void. But their apps I am sure won't be of the same quality or have the cloud integration I've come to love from Adobe's Creative Suite.

Come on Adobe! I beg of you! Make our dreams come true and solve this first-world problem. We know you can do it! On behalf of all the loyal working illustrators and lifelong Adobe enthusiasts out there. Put the pro in iPad Pro.

Sincerely, Michael DiMilo

Illustrator, animator

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 112 Replies 112
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I apologize for the inconvenience and I will definitely pass on the feedback to the concerned team.

I hope that they will be working on it.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Pen tool requesters are a passionate bunch. It doesn't get requested often, but some of the best emails and posts I see are requests for this feature. That said, I don't know what the plan is for incorporating it into Draw; I actually haven't heard any discussion about any new brushes or drawing tools in Draw.

But, the more people who ask for the feature (especially when the request is so eloquent), the better a chance the feature has of appearing, so I'll definitely pass your request along to the product team. And I'll post if I hear something more definitive.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe !

Please add the pen tool--- this is a tie breaker for me. I use the ipad pro to draw live and transfer this to illustrator... I hate that I need to look for other apps, since staying in the same environment would be best for me.

Thanks so much for looking into this

//Kristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristian.

I still don't know if there is a plan to add a pen tool to Draw but I share all of these comments with the product team, so thanks or taking the time to post.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the vector pen tool.  If people are taking the time to contact you about this, then it should count for something. I can only imagine the amount of people that don't spend their time contacting you on the forums, or just find a different app to use.   As someone that pays a lot of money each month for the Adobe CC, I expect things like this to get resolved sooner than later.   It's been at least 6 months since people have been asking you to add this feature.   It's very important and we need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brent (and everyone else who's posted).

I haven't responded here for some time because I don't have any further information than what I posted previously.

However, requests for a pen tool in Draw are always impassioned so I wanted to take a minute to post a reminder that I do share all of these comments with the product team whenever they come up.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in sad disbelief in the lack of pen tool in this app. There really is nothing that matches the precision of this tool. Especially for inking over sketches, it makes it so easy to click on points and then fine tune the curves afterwards. But the great thing about it is that you almost never have to back track with the pen tool. Mistakes are much less irritating when they dont put road blocks into your workflow, whereas with brushes, if your line is imperfect, you have to undo and make another attempt from scratch instead of simply fine tuning an imperfection. Please watch some demonstrations of illustrators who work with the pen versus illustrators who work without. The pen tool allows illustrators who may not have the most steady hand to lay down PERFECT line work every single time.

This is the hallmark of Ai and to not include it in your app is comparable to Levis discontinuing their blue jeans. It poorly reflects the integrity of adobe to be frank. For a company to overlook such a staple of their product can be interpreted in no way other than apathy. Its clear that Adobe Draw was based on the UI of Sketch and that making things vector based was the focus, while clearly giving little thought to what makes Ai such a unique and great application in the first place. It's much more than just the vector format that matters, it's the user experience, and the pen tool is what put Illustrator on the map as a tool of extreme precision to bring illustratons to the next level. Im saddened to say that I will be switching to "Graphic" for linework using their pentool, hoping that Adobe will realize soon, what a huge mistake they've made by overlooking this feature. I will happily switch back when this is resolved as I love the CC integration and I have been a loyal user of Adobe products since PS 3.  Hopefully this happens sooner than later. This one little feature has a HUGE impact on thousands of designers, and most of them you will never even hear a word from but they'll be forced to adopt a less efficient workflow a result.

Respectfully,

Chris Marano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too- sad to see, despite all spin to the contrary, that the Illustrator team are still the B team when it comes to Adobe app dev. The list of long-standing bugs and omissions with Illustrator (and now Draw) is laughably/depressingly long and increasing competition from cheaper apps seems to have done little to inspire radical revisions. Derision where it’s due.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pléaze add a Bézier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on board with Michael, the Bézier pen tool should absolutely be available in Adobe Draw. As he stated it is the defining tool of Adobe Illustrator. This is supposed to be a companion app - correct?

I have been going crazy trying to find forums regarding this topic which brought me here.

Why on earth is this tool not availabe within the app, and why woud the icon be used in the Adobe Draw app if it is nowhere to be found in the toolset?

It just doesn't make any sense to me either.

Dissapointed, senior graphic designer,

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE,

I just got a new iPad Pro. I have been using Adobe software for nearly 20 years now and am a current subscriber to the full CC suite. I thought for SURE that the Adobe Draw app would have similar functionality as Illustrator would. At least a pen tool with bezeir functionality. After all the app’s icon itself has the logo of the pens tool!

I hope you see from all these posts that an app more like Illustrator for the iPad and Apple Pen is not just a nice to have toy.....it’s a requirement for where the tablet commuinity and functionality is heading

If the team is not doing everything they can to create this ASAP, then their priorities are askew.

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic functionality missing i.e. the pen tool. 0 out of 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Michael. I'd love to see a pen tool in the iOS app. Would make the Draw app much less of a toy.

The app would have been better labeled "Adobe Brush", since the app's main functionality is that of a vector brush tool.

Using the pen tool for the app icon was an incredibly poor design choice.

Steven Lyons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Please add the pen tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really can't see the point of a vector drawing programme without a bezier pen tool. It makes the app useless as far as I'm concerned. Please add a pen tool. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was frustrated to see Pen tool was not implemented in Draw when it first came out. Gave it another shot today and the lack of the feature up until now made me even more frustrated. And I'm not even a professional designer, but software developer who's passionate about design.

I cant imagine them having guts to name the app Illustrator without the most integral part of the software. Pen tool is ultimate definition of the app.

As much as I love the initiative bringing vector into mobile, I cant encourage anyone using this app without it. I understand the difficulties developers face with reimagining Pen tool UX on touch devices but it's absolutelly worth all the effort. Even at its poorest performance users would love it!

Thus, my deepest support for Pen tool on mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to second, third, fourth and fifth this request!!

The irony of the Draw logo being the pen tool icon is hopefully not missed on Adobe 🙂

I think even a rudimentary attempt to integrate the pen tool w/ touch tablet would be better than omitting it altogether. It would allow workflows to (more) seamlessly integrate b/w platforms.

At this point, it's almost quicker to just stick to a wacom (or other) tablet in Illustrator desktop. I think it definitely segregates devices or platforms for their specific purposes. In other words, use the ipad for certain things but you'll have to export / save in CC libraries to bring it back to desktop for others. Maybe that's intentional - I know that Draw isn't supposed to be a full fledged version of Illustrator, but I think the pen tool and vectors go hand in hand.  My initial reaction when using was.... ok, now how do I edit the vector line I just drew? I guess erase and redo are the work around for fine tuning things for which the pen tool (was designed) would really help.

Please add the pen tool.

Muchas gracias!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definetely agree, I'd love to use vector pen tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I request this tool for a long time.

But the answer /reply are always the same: No further information.

Disappointed with adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe. I sit all day attached to a computer using Illustrator. Don't get me wron, I love my job, but I miss the sunshine. I thought the idea of getting an iPad with a mobile version of Illustrator would help me get out there and try to work in a different environment. But no, without a pen tool, selection tool, scale, rotate, reflect and so on, all I can do is fight with the undo button and produce nothing. What a let down!

Please, please, please sort this out.

Yours faithfully,

A very sun deprived designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count me in to the list of people wanting a pen tool. I'm a professional designer also deprived of sun so I wanted to use a tablet specifically for the pen tool I thought for sure would be in Adobe Draw, but it was disappointing to find it was no where to be found. Also agreed that if you're not going to incorporate the pen tool maybe don't put it on the logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the pen tool. We'd love to leave our office / house and use that lovely pen tool on our iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add my request for the pen tool also! I bought a tablet to be able to work faster and utilize all the cc apps included in my membership and I am very disappointed by the Draw app. I work primarily in Illustrator and would not mind doing the bulk of my editing work on my desktop but I need to be able to at least create single paths with my lines, not impossible to edit blob brush lines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any answer? Are you planing on adding it? It's really absurd it's not there and all brush strokes are shapes and can't be edited.

you might as well change the app's icon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines