Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN error

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been searching the forums and it seems this question has gone unanswered for years. If anyone has a solution, I would appreciate it.

I have been opening .ascm files to read digital galleys for a few months now on Adobe Digital Editions. I have managed to use both my PC and my iPad to read the same books.  Today I went to open a book before it expires in a couple of days and received the "E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN" error.

This error only occurs with books I have not opened before on a particular device. The books I have on my iPad that have been opened can still be opened. The books I have opened on my PC cannot be opened on my iPad.

I have tried the following solutions with no success:

1. Deauthorizing and reauthorizing the iPad

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Digital Editions app

3. Trying additional apps such as Bluefire

4. Restarting the iPad

5. Updating the iPad

6. Downloading new copies of the books

7. Installing the program on an entirely different PC, authorizing the account, and downloading new copies onto the PC (same error, and I can't open even the books that have been successfully accessed on the iPad).

8. Opening the file from the download menu, the file itself, using the "open with" command, and from the Digital Editions "Open" button.

9. Skipping the ones I've downloaded previously and trying a brand-new download for an entirely different book

10. Saving the .ascm files as .epub or .pdf (I don't know which version Penguin's First to Read program is using).

11. Checking whether the file is blocked in the properties menu

12. Downloading other files - pdf and epub both work if I don't have to go through .ascm, but unfortunately, I do

13. Clearing cookies on the PC

14. Using chrome and safari on the iPad; using chrome and IE on PC

15. Using an older edition of DE

I have a dozen digital galleys I cannot access from any other program and now I can't access them using this program either. They have a variety of expiration dates. I'd like to be able to keep reading these books but the program simply won't work! What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error often a problem with the securty software. Disable securty Software, download the file and open it. (Security software seems problem with protection).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help. I've had this problem as well, since yesterday. Nothing helps. I cannot open my purchased book.:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the problem persists. I contacted Google (where I purchased the book), they told me to contact Adobe. Adobe has no support for Digital Editions. This seems like a bad joke.

Has the problem solved itself automagically in the past, does anyone here know? Should I wait for a few days? Or should I ask for a refund immediately? (The book wasn't expensive, but it's the principle... after all, I cannot read the thing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are download the eBook without securty activate software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I still got the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the problem only with the eBook file and digital edition. 😕 Has you try to ask for a new download by the creater of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Google told me to contact Adobe.:( I asked again a while back, there has been no response yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you check a download of a other source? (not google)

http://www.adobe.com/de/products/digital-editions/eBook.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, those work.

Google told me again to contact Adobe. Now what should I do? There is no way to contact Adobe about this. It seems no one is in the least bit interested in solving this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I've disabled security and redownloaded and nothing works. I have a hard time believing it is just the ebook when all 12 of my downloads started giving the error message on the same day and everything from the old download to the brand new one give the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines