• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repair Broken links in one step

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed 2 pages from my project and replaced them with a single page. I now have hundreds of Broken links. Can I resolve these broken links in a single step - they all need to go to the same single new topic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there tmccoysrc

How did you delete the page? Normally RoboHelp stops dead in its tracks and asks if you would like to have it remove the references in the links. I'm guessing you either didn't see that message for some reason or told RoboHelp to ignore it.

One fairly easy way to do this in a fell swoop would be to create a redirect page that is named identically to the one you deleted. Have the redirect point to the new page.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this intentionally and can get the removed content back easily. That isn't the problem. The two pages are now obsolete and I want to redirect the links to a new feature (new page). I cannot have that new page be either of the old page names. So I just want to update a ton of broken links to the same new link without having to update each link individually. Is there any way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the old link is totally obsolete, you could do a global search and replace where you replaced the old link with the new one. Very carefully, of course!

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very disappointing. It seems to me that this should be a fairly straightforward function: links that pointed to pages A and B should now go to C

and should not require such manual, repetitive motion. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 23, 2008 Oct 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Perhaps you were too busy kvetching about RH's lack of sensitivity to your unusual way of working, so that you were unable to understand Rick's (Captiv8r) suggestion about a redirect page.

You would recreate the obsolete1 and obsolete2 topics, and strip all the content that might be in the template you're using. In TrueCode, add a meta tag like:

<meta http-equiv=refresh content="0;URL= NewPage.htm">

If you want to create a delay explaining the behind-the-scenes action to the user, you could add content such as "You are being redirected to an upgraded topic dealing with this feature." Then change the "0" number to enough microseconds to allow the user to read that message (3,000-4,000?) before NewPage.htm is displayed.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp