• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use lightroom with a Canon EOS 7d mark ii

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom for everything and love it.  It is fantastic with all of my Canon cameras.   However, I just bought the new Canon 7D mark ii and Lightroom doesn't read the raw files.   I don't see Adobe having any updates for the new Raw file.   In their defense I couldn't find the new camera on the Canon website to register it.   Any solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

For the moment i use the follow solution :

Import RAW in Canon Digital Photo Proffessional , Export in batch and convert your RAW's in TIFF  . Open Lightroom and Import the TIFF's as " Apply " ( not convert as DNG )  . You can edit your pictures in Lightroom !

Kind regards ,

Pierre Nowosad

http://www.birdsinflight.be

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This camera is not supported by Lightroom at this time. It probably will be supported when the next version of Lightroom is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a naive and lame question but I still use Ligthroom 4. Do you think there will be an update to the raw files for this version to include the 7D Mark II, or will it require an update of the Lightroom version to accommodate this new camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way. LR 4 hasn't been updated for two years and never will be. Use the DNG Converter or upgrade to LR 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the free DNG converter... DNG filesare supported and work well. But the upgrade to LR 5 is worth The hassle! Some tools have been quite expanded In functionallity.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the moment i use the follow solution :

Import RAW in Canon Digital Photo Proffessional , Export in batch and convert your RAW's in TIFF  . Open Lightroom and Import the TIFF's as " Apply " ( not convert as DNG )  . You can edit your pictures in Lightroom !

Kind regards ,

Pierre Nowosad

http://www.birdsinflight.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I am underway doing it now. Appreciate your help. Regards Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that takes some time, but at least now I can work on the images. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kurtmen wrote:

Wow that takes some time, but at least now I can work on the images. Thanks again.

It's pointless - you're losing the key benefit of Lr in this workflow by using another converter. If you're creating your tiffs in DPP, you may as well then go straight to Photoshop with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um...Not everyone has Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I experienced the time factor too! ...and worse: The space factor! 😞 . I hope that there will be a fast solution...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking that the cloud would offer more up to date versions I signed up for the year subscription to CC only to find that my purchased version of Lightroom is up to date and nothing newer is on the "cloud". Hmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is true for Camera Raw. So having a subscription to the creative cloud doesn't necessarily mean you will have immediate support for new cameras. It still takes time for Adobe to acquire the camera and develop the profiles for it. And it's not the only camera they are preparing to add support for. This same dilemma shows itself two or three times every year. But don't despair. The wait will eventually be over and it will no longer be an issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get your money only is my take on that...... No Customer Service from Adobe is available trust me I tried calling because I didn't have certain programs they cut the call off......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I check if I use this method does it make any difference if I shoot JPEG and import to LR directly skipping the Canon DPP step?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can import JPGs from whatever modern camera into LR without issues.  It is the raw files that need specific support to be added. 

If you’re going to push the adjustments then the JPG compression artifacts might become visible which is why TIFs from DPP were suggested.  It depends on how important the pictures are and how much you’d be adjusting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must be joking. this is not acceptable. get on your game adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be joking, @seanmclean_sc, we are not Adobe here, we are just Lightroom users (and by the way, it seems to be acceptable to thousands ... tens of thousands ... hundreds of thousands of Lightroom users)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment was not directed at you or any community members. Squarely at Adobe. And I disagree, but if it works for you then it works for you. This is not a solution for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically do you mean by "get on your game, Adobe"?  What specifically are you asking Adobe to do, differently?  I am a 7D Mark II user that is also waiting for support but I also understand if I buy a camera that is newer than the latest LR I have to wait for the next version of LR, and I'm a software developer that understands release cycles and what happens if updated software is released in an ad hoc manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your response. I too have been in software for a very long time and have a good understanding of release cycles. And I understand your statement. My expectation is that there should be coordination between Canon and Adobe long before product launch and an update made available within hours (ok a couple of days). Now if that's not how they work then that's not how they work. That's fine if you disagree. Just try to understand my point of view and my disappointment. Then let's let it go.

Good?

sean m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seanmclean_sc wrote: My expectation is that there should be coordination between Canon and Adobe long before product launch and an update made available within hours (ok a couple of days).

Well, have you talked to Canon?

Offhand, I would say you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  Canon reserves the right to fiddle with the file spec right up until release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fair enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of those patiently waiting.. but I would argue, that more of Canon's miss vs Adobe (or any other photo editing software provider)

I understand that Canon would want to protect their intellectual property, and not disclose this until they have to.. but I would also figure it would be in their best interest to have all functionality (at least from major contributors) available for use upon product release.

Right now we are waiting for adobe to play catchup, when in reality it didnt have to be this way if Canon planned a little better (IMHO)

its like buying a latest game console and not having any games for it, because the manufacturer didnt want to share programming language for the games. (maybe not the best analogy).

Though, of course, Canon has the right to withhold file spec until whenever they choose is a good time to publicize them, but is it in their best interest ? .. the way they acted now, I guess so.

anyway.. not that I have any real options here, so I'll just sit quietly and wait for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not a case of file-spec being withheld, it is a situation where Adobe needs an RTM (final version that will be for sale) camera in house to measure, so they can do their profiling of the camera, with profiles that will be valid for the version of the camera people will be purchasing.

Canon likely does have a way to give Adobe a pre-release camera and Adobe can do preliminary work, but until the camera is being manufactured for sale, there’s no guarantee that Canon won’t change their mind about some small aspect of how the camera operates that might affect something Adobe is measuring in their profiling process.

There were images on DPReview after the camera was announced in September, taken in January of 2014 that were processed with an ACR 8.7 internal beta (that Adobe apparently gave DPReview for the purpose), but obviously images from a camera in January could easily be different than those in October when the camera was first for sale in the US.

Adobe must not have had a finalized camera in house too much sooner than when it was for sale, because the 7D Mark II support didn’t make it into the ACR 8.7 RC first available at Adobe Labs in early October.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines