• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About creating shapes from vector layers

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I am having trouble using AE. When I draw a pattern in AI, and only solid fill, and then import AE, and then use "creating shapes from vector layers", AE work properly. However, if you use AI to draw a pattern, use the gradient fill, then import AE, and then use "creating shapes from vector layers", it will show an error.So, how should I use the gradient when the normal use of "creating shapes from vector layers"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

no. Illustrator gradients Don't retain appearance when converted to shapes. You are left to recreate them using a shape gradient fill or effects/layer styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients, or any opacity/blend mode changes to your illustrator layers, turn off or grey upon converting to shape layer. this is a limitation of the conversion we unfortunately have to live with. you can recreate the gradient in Ae if you want by simply adding a gradient fill for the shape layer. you should also read this explanation by Rick Gerard about the necessity of even using create shapes from vector layers : Re: Imported Illustrator shapes with gradients turning gray after creating shapes from vector layer ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked Rick Gerard's answer, but the question is that there is no need to convert, but my job needs such a function, so there is no way to solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no. Illustrator gradients Don't retain appearance when converted to shapes. You are left to recreate them using a shape gradient fill or effects/layer styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you must convert Vector paths (Illustrator layers) to Shape layers and you don't want to mess with manually recreating the fills you need to design the artwork in Illustrator in a way that the conversion will work and the appearance will be maintained. This limits your design options but is the only time efficient work around.

It's something like putting new tile in the shower. You want to use tiny 1/2" square tiles and they come in sheets with 200 tiles all uniformly spaced out on a sheet of tile so they are easy to install.

mosaic-tile-crystal-glass-tile-sg117-3.jpg

When you start installing the tiles you decide that you don't like the pattern at all. You have a choice, live with the pattern in get the job done in a reasonable amount of time or cut the sheets apart and install each little square one at a time. It's the same way with Illustrator files that you must convert to shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the illustration Rick. where do you find such a tasteful tile design I wonder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I too have come across the same issue where I have used a gradient fill in Illustrator and I still get that grey colour after converting to shape layers in after effects. Has anyone here managed to find another workaround as opposed to manually redoing the gradient fill in after effect ? An update on this would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines