• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with PSD files being flattened when moving between LR and Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with .psd images being flattened if I go back and forth between Lightroom and Photoshop to edit. I think I have figured out the problem but would like input about whether my solution is doing what I think it is doing. I would edit in Lightroom then add layers in Photoshop and save. A new PSD file would appear in LR with the original CR2 still there.  I might then make additional edits in LR. The problem seemed to occur going back to PS for the second time. If I chose Edit with LR Adjustments, I would get a single background layer.

The solution I have arrived at is to edit in Lightroom and move to Photoshop with Edit with Lightroom Adjustments. After I work in Photoshop and save, it will then appear in Lightroom. If I make further adjustment in Lightroom and want to send it back to Photoshop, I need to choose Edit Original to maintain the layers. The original PSD file is then opened without additional LR adjustments but with the layers visible. This is a little confusing since the image is different than the edited version in LR. It seems that when I then save again and reopen in Lightroom that both the PS and LR adjustments are there.

To summarize, it seems that the first time I go from LR to Photoshop, I should choose Edit with Lightroom Adjustments, but on future trips back and forth, I should choose Edit Original. I also click the Overwrite option when it appears the second time I go to PS. I just want to make sure that both the PS and LR adjustments will be in the final image in my Lightroom catalog.

Thanks for any input on this. I was a little dismayed to have worked on some images only to find the layers flattened.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

margarete49263018  wrote

To summarize, it seems that the first time I go from LR to Photoshop, I should choose Edit with Lightroom Adjustments, but on future trips back and forth, I should choose Edit Original.

That is correct.

margarete49263018  wrote

I also click the Overwrite option when it appears the second time I go to PS.

It sounds like you are using 'Save As.' If you use 'Save' it will save the file to the same location and over-write it without a warning message. If this isn't happening ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

margarete49263018  wrote

To summarize, it seems that the first time I go from LR to Photoshop, I should choose Edit with Lightroom Adjustments, but on future trips back and forth, I should choose Edit Original.

That is correct.

margarete49263018  wrote

I also click the Overwrite option when it appears the second time I go to PS.

It sounds like you are using 'Save As.' If you use 'Save' it will save the file to the same location and over-write it without a warning message. If this isn't happening check your PS Preferences as shown below:

You're other option is to use Edit In> Open as a Smart Object in Photoshop. You can still view the PS file in LR, but will hcan only use ACR to change the raw file settings. More details here: Work with Smart Objects in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation about using Edit with Lightroom Adjustments then Edit Original. I am using Save and not Save As to save the file. I may have confused when I saw the Overwrite option come up. I am considering using the Save As option if I have spent an unusually long time selecting and masking and really don't want to accidentally lose my layers. Obviously, I would like to keep that to a minimum. I just upgraded from Photoshop Elements to Lightroom and Photoshop a couple of years ago partly because I discovered how much simpler it was to have one image in my Lightroom Catalog with the ability to export it in many different ways. It sure beats sorting through several different saved versions trying to figure out which one I really wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do what you want by using the RAW file as a LINKED smart object in Photoshop.  You can then use ACR or Lightroom with XMP to have changes passed back and forth between Photoshop and Lightroom.

See the youtube tutorial here    Link Photos Between Lightroom and Photoshop - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Place LInked approach was very helpful. It is probably overkill for most of what I do, but I'm sure there are situations where I will use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Lightroom's edits are nondestructive, the original image files (raw or PSD) are never written to. The LR edits are saved in the catalog.

When you try to pass a PSD file from LR to PS, the only way to apply the LR edits is to create a new PSD file in LR. Since LR does not do layers, the new PSD file just contains a simple one-layer image (flattened) with the LR edits applied directly to it.

The only way to pass a layered PSD file from LR to PS is to abandon the LR edits and pass the "original" PSD file to Photoshop.

See also Bob's comment regarding the XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines