Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different page sizes in a booklet

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I expect this is a total newbie question, but we've all got to start somewhere!

I've designed a document using facing pages/spreads in InDesign. The pages *should* all be A4 sized.

However, when I export to pdf and then print, the front and rear of the doc are printed A4 but the spreads are all printed A5/ two to a page.

How can I design a booklet in spreads, but keep all pages all the same size? Do I need to export as individual pages rather than in spreads? Or is this a printer settings thing?

Many thanks in advance.

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge Forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not export spreads. Export single pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for printing on your desk-top printer or for sending out to a commercial printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're designing this for print then export with crop marks. Even though the pages between the first and last will appear as single horizontal pages the crop marks will still define them as the A4 pages that they should be. See screen shot below:

PRINT.png

If this is an actual offset print job the crop marks will serve as the printer's guide for how the booklet is to be trimmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to ask the printer (if possible) sometimes they don't want trim marks.

Select the preset PDF/X-4 (unless you've been given another spec by the printer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your goal is to have the pages in the exact size that they will print in the pdf then exporting them as spreads with crop marks and then trimming the pages in Acrobat with the crop tool will accomplish that. Because even though your page size seems to be different for the spreads, InDesign actually has output the content at the same physical size that they are in the original file so trimming any excess Acrobat page will not affect their actual size. But you should be aware that print jobs are usually printed on paper larger than their trim and then cut to size. This is especially true when there is color or art that needs to bleed off of the page. Printers need an edge of the paper for their grippers and thus do not print to the edge of the paper. As Derek said different printers have different requirements but it has been my experience that jobs are not usually printed to size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines