Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign not recognizing fonts after they are packaged

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys. I'm having a strange issue.

This is one of the pages of my file. I just packaged the file and now the Cyrillic font is showing up as missing (pink highlighted).

If I open the unpackaged document, it is fine. My preflight says everything is fine on both these documents. Any ideas? The file exports to pdf fine.

And the Document Fonts folder on the packaged version shows the Cyrillic font (Helvectica CY) as being packaged.

Also - I was the original creator of the document - it wasn't a problem with an inherited file from another source. The font is HelvecticaCY.dfont. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 11.06.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-13 at 11.06.21 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Using system fonts in a design job is not generally a good idea. Your best bet is to stick with OpenType fonts which work equally well on Mac and PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you package, what do you see in the fonts section of the dialog box that opens up?

Are there any warning messages?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Document Fonts folder from the packaged version and check to see if the size of the fonts has become 0k. This can happen when fonts are uploaded to some servers or cloud storage. If this is the problem then it can be solved by zipping the Document Fonts folder when sending it out (it needs to be done separately from zipping the entire package). The recipient will have to unzip it for use but it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your message. The file size of the dfont file is 276K. I'm not using any servers or cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the size of the font in the packaged version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same size 275K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been able to replicate your problem. There are certain fonts that due to licensing restrictions do not get collected as active fonts. I believe that they are actually hidden in the Document Font folder but need special authorization from the font supplier to work.

When I created a document that used the Cyrillic font which I had open on my system it worked correctly. I then did a collect and closed Cyrillic on my system and it all went pink (fonts not open). Check with your font supplier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply came up as I was writing the above comment. If you can actually see the font in the Document Fonts folder within your collected version then it may be something else. I would, however check with the font supplier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill. Interesting. It's just a system font that comes on Apple computers.

List of typefaces included with macOS - Wikipedia

However, I just swapped to a different font and repackaged and it had no problems. I'll stay away from that font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using system fonts in a design job is not generally a good idea. Your best bet is to stick with OpenType fonts which work equally well on Mac and PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using a font manager? i force activate on suitcase sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Font Suitcase. The Font is activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no error messages come up when I package it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines