• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible Running Header Text Variable error

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else seen this error using the Running Header text variable? I have used a line break in a several-line heading in order to properly distribute the text. In the footer, that line break is counted as a space in the first instance of the running header, but on subsequent pages it isn't counted as a space. So if I put a space before the line break in the heading, I end up with two spaces on the first instance and one space on the rest, but if I remove the extra space, I end up with one space on the first instance and no space on the rest. I have to have the line break. I now have this problem in multiple books where I've used a forced line break in headings, and I believe the forced line break is the source of the error. If I remove it, I can get the running headers to space correctly. Weirdly enough, I have been able to export some of the offending documents to idml and fix the error, but this does not work on all of them. Anyone have any ideas why this is an issue and what I can do to fix it?

NOTE: I'm using 2017.0 on a Windows 10 computer. I didn't like the changes to the UI in the newest release of InDesign.

RunningHeadError.JPG

RunningHeadError2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a bug, same problem here: Re: Forced line breaks on variables don't turn to spaces

But it seems to be fixed, for I don't see this issue in InDesign 2017.01 / Build 12.1.0.56

Fenja

runningheader.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Did you try updating InDesign to 2017.01 / Build 12.1.0.56? Are you still facing this issue?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not updated. The lack of contrast in the new UI color schemes is headache producing, so I had to go back to the older version. I have used paragraph indents to force the line flows the way I need them so I can remove the forced line breaks. That appears to have worked for now.

If you have fixed this issue in the newer versions, then I hope at some point you put the UI back to usable color contrasts. I may be stuck with 17.0 for a good long while else. I live in InDesign, so usability of the interface is far more important to me than bug fixes that may affect a small portion of my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has either not been fixed or it has resurfaced. I'm on the latest updated InDesign, and I'm experiencing this variable issue in my footers again. I tried exporting to IDML and rebuilding the culprit file, and it still displays the line breaks as an extra space on the first occurrence and as no space for the following pages. so if I use the line break in place of a space, the following footers don't have a space at all. I use line breaks frequently in headings that are variables for footers. I kind of need this to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes that is a bug within InDesign...(Running headers are designed in a way, to convert all line breaks to a single line.. but the issue you pointed out is certainly a bug)

I was able to reproduce it with CC 2017 though.

I would like to add that although the UI may not be very pleasing to you (but we are improvising on it in the upcoming release), each release comes with its own new set of features. I hope you give it another try:)

Like someone correctly posted above, please use the workaround at Re: Forced line breaks on variables don't turn to spaces​ for the time being.

-Aman

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same error in 2018, FYI.

FooterError.JPG

Edit: I will add, that after taking this snapshot, I exported the book to IDML and reopened and the footers were correct after that step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encountered this issue again in November 2018. Tried your INDD > IDML > INDD trick, but it didn't correct it in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can verify that this bug is still not fixed. I'm on the latest updated Indesign, and it's doing it again. I tried exporting to IDML and rebuilding the file, but the footer variables are still adding and missing spaces based on whether they are the first or following of a style containing a forced line break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method that works for me all the time: go to the Variables menu, and choose "Use: Last on Page", and you may also also check in "Delete End Punctuation" (however, this is not necessary, I think). And, if this works for you, spread the word . And see the SS for proof.

forcedlinebreak.PNG

forcedlinebreak2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

another workaround:

Instead of using a line break character use a simple blank character and format it to a very wide width.

E.g. 1000% width combined with a tracking value of 10000 perhaps.

A text frame could be perhaps 300 mm wide with text of 8.5 Pt and the blank character will still break the line.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting work around. I still think this bug needs to be fixed, but changing that space to extra wide did get my headers and footers to look correct in both my full page and half page layouts. Because the story appears in multiple size columns via InCopy, I was having a hard time finding a solution that worked in all the books the story appeared in, but this workaround works universally. Would there be a way to GREP this in the paragraph style if there is a consistent word in the first line to search for? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DKingDesigner,

possibly yes. Could you show some real-world samples with screenshots where hidden characters are showing?

Menu Type > Show Hidden Characters

What could be a consistent word that would triggers this?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally that word is positioned either directly before or directly after the blank that should break the line of text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original post for this thread is my annual headache. The devotion titles change, but I do these same books every year with a new theme. Devotion 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 would be the first lines. They are in a single InCopy file shared across multiple books. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the hint. Now I inspected your screenshot from 2017 in your initial post.

This case is ideal!

One  can clearly identify the first word in the paragraph that is followed by a blank that is followed by digit(s) and that is followed by a end of line special character. With GREP Find/Change you could find that special character and replace it with a blank where a character style is applied.

Find pattern definition:

Find a blank character ( in case you already did some manual work ) or an end of line special character where before there is the word Devotion at the start of a paragraph followed by a blank that is followed by an unknown number of digits.

^Devotion\x{0020}\d+\K[\n\x{0020}]

with characterstyle [None] and the paragraph style you assigned to your headline.

Change to a blank:

\x{0020}

with the character style applied that makes this blank very wide.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines