Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TimeWarp not extending or remapping length of clip

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since the 2017 update it appears that After Effects isn't time warping clips the way it used to in early 2017.  Did something change? Or am I doing something wrong?

Simply, if I had a clip that was 10 seconds long and I Time Warped it to 50% it should become 20 seconds. It doesn't do that anymore, it just changes the speed of the first part of the clip and then cuts it off.

I tried enabling "time remapping" this doesn't work either.

Please help.

Baby step me through this.

Also, If I have the clip in Premiere and I then dynamic link the clip to AE, will the same process work or do I have to do something else?

THANK YOU! So frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Is there a reason you want to use Time Warp?

You could just interpret it (in either Premiere or After Effects interpret footage dialog) as 30 fps.

Alternatively, in After Effects go to Layer>Time>Time Stretch

0timestretch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

For anyone else with this question, there are 2 easy solutions that allow you to use TimeWarp on an entire clip, as the OP wants:

1) Enable Time Remapping on the layer, but don't touch the keyframes.

2) On the "Interpret Footage" menu, near the bottom is an option to loop the footage. Loop 2x for 50%, etc.

Either way, you'll need to extend the duration of the Comp Settings to fit the new length (i.e. double for 50%). You may also need to drag the end of the clip, but at least you'll be able to now

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects cannot extend footage. This has never been any different. You are mistaken. Only the native time-remapping can do this. The rest is unclear since your descriptions are rather vague and lack any genuine technical info. Otherwise AE doesn't discriminate - a layer is a layer is a layer and whether that's a DynamicLink element or a natively imported video doesn't matter.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer Mylenium, I appreciate it, if you could help that would be amazing!  I never used native time-remapping before so now I'm confused. So to be clearer, here is what I'm trying to do:

Drag a 10 second clip directly into AE, or dynamically link a 10 second clip that's already in Premiere to AE by right clicking on the clip in Premiere and selecting "replace with AE composition."  Since I was filming the clip knowing I'd do  for slow motion, it is 60fps and a high shutter speed.

I would like to slow this clip down to 50% in AE with time warp and not lose any of the clip. So, theoretically, a 10 second clip slowed down to 50% should come out to be 20 seconds.

Please help. Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you want to use Time Warp?

You could just interpret it (in either Premiere or After Effects interpret footage dialog) as 30 fps.

Alternatively, in After Effects go to Layer>Time>Time Stretch

0timestretch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. 

I want to use Time Warp, yes. Why is actually immaterial to my question. But for example, I might want to keyframe a clip to slow down and then speed back up and continue to the end of the clip.  Since you can't keyframe time stretch, and since Timewarp doesn't seem to add extra frames to the clip your solution isn't actually a solution.  Since you haven't answered the OP's question anyone with this problem still doesn't have an answer. 

Perhaps you should trust that the OP needs to do exactly what they are asking in the question and not presume to know the creative needs of the project? 

Now: XR + Traditional Media Creator. Then: Senior VFX Artist on AAA titles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else with this question, there are 2 easy solutions that allow you to use TimeWarp on an entire clip, as the OP wants:

1) Enable Time Remapping on the layer, but don't touch the keyframes.

2) On the "Interpret Footage" menu, near the bottom is an option to loop the footage. Loop 2x for 50%, etc.

Either way, you'll need to extend the duration of the Comp Settings to fit the new length (i.e. double for 50%). You may also need to drag the end of the clip, but at least you'll be able to now.

(Tip of the hat to Mylenium)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your advice here, on 2) where is this "Interpret Footage" menu, near the bottom is an option to loop the footage". Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because he has a 10sec 30fps so he need to slow it to half speed to get smooth slomo which clip should turn to 20 secs. but the AE dont extend the time so he is only getting half lenght of the clip because the timeline stays 10 seconds. earlier AE used to extend the time to 20 secs automatically. If you were to interpret 30fps clip to 30fps would do nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you want to enable Time Remapping, not Time Stretch.  Once Time Remapping is enabled, you can extend the footage for as long as is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the answer to the question is as simple as that thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old post but still we come here by the searches. So there are some words to say.
First of al, the reply that marked to be correct is actually not correct because it tells to use another method than solving the problem. Those kind of answers are not useful for community users and building walls infront of advance.
He asks a simple question about "timewarp" effects. You cannot say "use another" if the issue has a solution. Timewarp effect has got many options inside and not the same with interpret or displacement. May be he needs exactly "timewarp". How do you know the details?
Simply, I use Timewarp in my works and that clipping off occurs, yes. To avoid of this problem, I first apply "time displacement" and after I apply Timewarp. 
Somebody has written this in replies of this post also. If anyone knows the better way (on Timewarp, not other clever advices) can write here.
Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best answer, you just saved me! Thank you so much for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time Remapping is needed in combination with TimeWarp to allow the Layer Time Span to be extended for however long is needed if TimeWarp is slowing the playback of the footage to anything less than 100% (with the default being 50%). What might be confusing is that Time Remapping, TimeWarp, and Time Stretch can each be used to slow down or speed up footage.

TimeWarp used to be a third party plugin by The Foundry called Khronos and the Khronos user manual was very good at explaining it.  I don't think the step-by-step instructions have ever been integrated into the After Effects user documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to make this work after hours of trying.  Time Remapping did allow me to double the length of the clip for the new length of the layer (I'm trying for a 50% reduction in speed) but this resulted in the clumsy effect of duplicating every frame.  Adding Time Warp offered me a lot of control but didn't affect the doubling.  Using Time Stretch gave me no control over the pixel mapping when I chose it in Frame Blending.  I needed the control because I was getting a lot of motion artifacts in the shot.  I didn't find any way out of the problem.  Is there one?  I'm using AE 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines