• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I took some landscape photos with an effect called 'Dramatic Tone' on my olympus camera and loved the result. When I go to convert these images into JPEGS in LR (eg 'develop'), it removes these effects and puts it back to a normal image without the effect

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I retain the special effects of the image I took when I go to develop an image in Lightroom - when I click on the image it converts it back to its raw form, removing the special effect I had wanted to save?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

"Dramatic tone" is apparently one of the settings in your camera that can be applied to images. But this is a proprietary setting from Olympus. The Olympus raw file format, and all of its proprietary camera settings, can only be read by software created and provided by Olympus. This is true of all camera companies. Adobe cannot support these proprietary settings from all companies. Lightroom and Camera Raw ignore these proprietary settings. For some of the cameras there are profiles in the calib

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moved to Lightroom forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have read of the info available at the link below.

Why do I see my images change after they are imported into Lightroom? | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Train...

If you wish to obtain the special effects produced by your camera you would need to shoot to capture RAW & JPEG, or utilize the software provided by Olympus your camera manufacturer, Olympus Viewer 3.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the LR Develop module scroll down to the right panel 'Camera Calibration' panel and see if there is 'Profile' available named 'Camera Vivid.' This should get you a lot closer to the effect that is applied to the in-camera JPEG image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Dramatic tone" is apparently one of the settings in your camera that can be applied to images. But this is a proprietary setting from Olympus. The Olympus raw file format, and all of its proprietary camera settings, can only be read by software created and provided by Olympus. This is true of all camera companies. Adobe cannot support these proprietary settings from all companies. Lightroom and Camera Raw ignore these proprietary settings. For some of the cameras there are profiles in the calibration section that will closely resemble some of those in-camera settings, but there are more profiles for Canon and Nikon cameras then there are for other brands. If there isn't a profile that matches the look you are after, the best you can do is create the look you are after and then save a preset that includes the adjustments that will enable you to create that look in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Olympus, too. "Dramatic Tone" is pretty far from anything LR can easily produce. It's an "art filter" rather than a camera profile. Personally, I'd just go with the JPEGs instead of raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's kind of what I suspected. It probably falls into the same category as Sunset and Autumn Colors, etc. that I have on my camera. These are all picture styles that can be applied to JPEG images if you are using Lightroom. But if you want those picture styles on the raw images you will have to use software provided by the camera maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hal+P+Anderson  wrote

I have an Olympus, too. "Dramatic Tone" is pretty far from anything LR can easily produce. It's an "art filter" rather than a camera profile. Personally, I'd just go with the JPEGs instead of raw.

Shooting JPEGs using a "dramatic" camera style produces an image with very little dynamic range left for further adjustment. If you're not happy with images it will be very difficult to change their appearance in LR or any other application. That's the whole point of shooting raw.

A better suggestion is to set the camera to shoot raw + JPEG with the desired picture style. Then learn how to use LR's controls to produce your own dramatic effects using the raw file and JPEG file in Reference View such as in example above. Here's a good tutorial by Laura Shoe on a creating faux HDR effect similar to the Olympus Dramatic Tone picture style. The settings can be saved as a Develop preset for future use. The range of control inside LR is only limited by your imagination......

Creating a Faux-HDR Look in Lightroom and Saving It As a Preset | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, T...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being curious I looked at some sites including-Using "Dramatic Tone" On Your Olympus camera

Doug Harman shows a sample image on his page, and the 'raw' image can easily be developed with sliders in the Basic Panel to look like Dynamic Tone.

My edit-

ScreenShot094.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines