Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.TIF Files

People's Champ ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So my client recently made a bunch of .tif files available to me for some new something or other.

When I bring them into AE they do have alpha channels but when I bring them into Photoshop

to convert them to a 1000% smaller .png the transparency is not there.

What's even weirder to me is that the images do have alpha channels but they're not the same

as they are in AE,

When I bring the images into AE I can view the alpha channel & there is transparency.

When I bring the same image into PS there is an alpha channel but it does not match the image

and there is no transparency.

I was given about 50 images in total and in photoshop they all have the exact same alpha channel even though the images are all different.

In AE every image has its own unique alpha channel that matches the image.

What the heck is going on?

Thanks,

Paul

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Ps won't automatically convert the tiff alpha directly into transparency on opening - unlike AE, which does.

But you can get transparency from the alpha very easily once open in Photoshop:

1. open your tiff

2. channels panel - Ctrl click on the alpha thumbnail (to load it as a selection)

3. layers panel - 3rd button from the left at the bottom of the layers panel (add layer mask)

...but if you've got a lot - I'd just load them into AE and render them out as a PNG sequence with alpha at the reduced sc

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little update.    So when a drag a bunch of tiffs into an already open Photoshop window (as layers) they all get the same alpha channel.  There's still no transparency but apparently PS is choosing the alpha channel from one of the images and giving it to all of the images.

Again, even the image that does have the matching alpha channel has no transparency.  

If I open each of the images separately as it's own tab or project then it does have it's matching alpha channel, but still no transparency.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps won't automatically convert the tiff alpha directly into transparency on opening - unlike AE, which does.

But you can get transparency from the alpha very easily once open in Photoshop:

1. open your tiff

2. channels panel - Ctrl click on the alpha thumbnail (to load it as a selection)

3. layers panel - 3rd button from the left at the bottom of the layers panel (add layer mask)

...but if you've got a lot - I'd just load them into AE and render them out as a PNG sequence with alpha at the reduced scale you want : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike_Abbott  wrote

- I'd just load them into AE and render them out as a PNG sequence

You see.  That's why two brains are better than one.

Thanks Mike

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Paul - I'm honored that it was yourself that tipped me over the 500 point mark to become a '4 bar general' -ist...  ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're on the fast track now......I'm 20 points away from my 5th bar   nudge nudge.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man.  I thought I need 1,000 points for 5 bars.  Turns out is 2,500....That's a pretty steep curve.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only bar you really need is one in which you can crack open a beer and bask in the knowledge that a 100 or so people are now better off because of your contributions

Having said that, maybe we should keep this thread going - ping-pong style.

5 points per post... we could get you there in 600 messages : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike_Abbott  wrote

maybe we should keep this thread going - ping-pong style.

5 points per post..

I say!!  That's a splendid idea!!

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could make this the longest thread on the After Effects forum - EVER!  : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll become infamous.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mwahahaha!

(is that how you spell it? )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know but I'm genuinely curious to see how long the Titans will allow this tomfoolery to go on?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an idea...

As this is the .TIF Files thread - let's make this the repository of all things TIF relating to Ae! 

TIF trivia, if you like : )

Let's start withn the basics...

Should it be TIF or TIFF ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer file extensions to be three letters, but if we're just talking about the format, I suppose TIFF is fine since it stands for Tagged Image File Format. Hmmm

What I do know is that it's definitely GIF as in gift and not GIF as in giraffe. It's short for Graphics Interchange Format. G-raphics; not J-raphics. I don't care what the creators of the format say; they're super-wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is .jpeg pronounced jay-feg for joint photographic experts group? I say if jpeg is jay-peg then gif can be jiff.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes you just start a conversation by asking the wrong question... LOL!

for me:

TIF extension

TIFF when written

GIF as in gift

JPEG as in party... not pharty : )

anyway... moving on...

Did you know that TIFF was created back in 1986 by the Aldus Corp for use in desktop publishing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Autumn, according to Wikipedia.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember it well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so tif/tiff files are meant to be like .psd files for apps that can't read .psd, right.  If there's no need for layers & no need for higher color depth then using a .tif is dumb, right?   For a simple 8bit image with transparency you don't ever want to use .tif?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish  wrote

If there's no need for layers & no need for higher color depth then using a .tif is dumb, right?   For a simple 8bit image with transparency you don't ever want to use .tif?

TIFFs load really quickly in AE compared to, say, EXR files. Quicker than PNGs too, I think (I haven't tested this myself yet). So, there are times when you might want TIFFs even in 8 bit with no layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam  wrote

TIFFs load really quickly in AE compared to, say, EXR files. Quicker than PNGs too, I think (I haven't tested this myself yet). So, there are times when you might want TIFFs even in 8 bit with no layers.

So I received these .tif images of simple cartoon characters 1920x1080 72 ppi 8bit and each on is 8MB.  When I convert to png they're 50kb with no discernible difference in quality.    Are those huge file sizes normal for .tif or did the person who prepared the images just not know what they were doing?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the huge sizes are 'normal'. Tiff is uncompressed, png is compressed - but lossless compression, so you don't loose anything when you open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No compression - faster processing - but bigger file sizes.

You can save tiff with various forms of compression - LZW, ZIP - even JPEG, yes you can save a TIFF with internal JPEG compression!

You'd probably find 90% of modern software won't be able to read them.

PNG is massively superior in most situations - smaller files, same quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines