• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom import hanging and not importing

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I was following a lightroom discussion about saving lightroom metadata to XML, so I decided it was a good idea and kicked it off. My collection is ~100K images so I thought no problem, just let the iMac run for a couple of days.

In the interim I took 100 or so pics and wanted to import them. The import just hung forever until I shut lightroom down.

Since this time I have not been able to import anything. When I try to import it just hangs.

I can't see anything to suggest the metadata to XML is complete or still going??? Is there a way to check?

My foolishness here was not backing up lightroom before I kicked this all off, I have a week old backup, but that represents a far loss of work as Ive had a week off and been playing a bit. Incidentally importing the backup is no problem.

Ive rest the preferences , no luck.

Any suggestions

I should mention Im running Lightroom CC 2015.10.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Create a new catalog and try importing the same files into it. If that works reselect your original catalog and run a backup. Next select the new catalog and go to File> Import form Another Catalog and select your original catalog. Try importing some new files into the new merged catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What system are you running, OS? And where are your image files residing??
There should be no issue with saving to xmp and shutting down Lightroom as it will just continue where it was left off.

How did you initiate the write??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS terra V10.12.5

Ive tried importing from SD card in side of iMac using Copy Import function

My library sits in external hard rive, Ive actually copied the images to a folder on the hardrive tried ithe Add Import function, no luck either way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Sierra (not sure how terra got in there!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try backing up the catalog using optimise and then opening both the catalog and the back up???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Im not aware of the function, can you walk me through it

I see the File>Optimise Catalogue is that all there is to it

Further update, Ive created a smart collection based on Metadata status, used the various options to check the status of the files metadata. Theres no conflicts etc and the metadata push appears to be complete. Not sure if I can check it, maybe open bridge to see it the lightroom edits are visible??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention thanks for your help Geoff the kiwi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried the file > Optimise Catalogue, no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waynem74182226  wrote

Since this time I have not been able to import anything. When I try to import it just hangs.

I can't see anything to suggest the metadata to XML is complete or still going??? Is there a way to check?

To check if the XMP building process is causing your import issue try unchecking it, close LR, restart LR and then try another import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trshaner, tried your suggestion, single image still hanging after 10 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create a new catalog and try importing the same files into it. If that works reselect your original catalog and run a backup. Next select the new catalog and go to File> Import form Another Catalog and select your original catalog. Try importing some new files into the new merged catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines