Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to modify keyboard shortcuts in after effects

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using After Effects CC 2014 on a Mac with a Swiss keyboard, and none of the shortcuts works since it thinks I'm using a crappy french keyboard.

On adobe website they say something about KeyEd but the link is broken.

Does someone have a solution?

Adobe could have done a shortcut editor in AE. For the price we pay, they could have taken the time to copy the code from other software that have this feature.

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can modify keyboard shortcuts by editing the text file that's in the preferences directory. You can open the directory with the Reveal button at the bottom of the Preferences dialog box.

We're moving the KeyEd script to a new location. All that it does is modify the text file, so this script is not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the only way to modify AE shortcuts is to edit 'Adobe After Effects 13.0.1 Win en_US Shortcuts' text file directly?

That's not the most user-friendly way to customize shortcuts... 😕

thank you,

-k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zjuka wrote:

And if you would like to see better functionality added in this area, please file a feature request. Adobe - Feature Request Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

Zjuka wrote:

And if you would like to see better functionality added in this area, please file a feature request. Adobe - Feature Request Form

good point.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very Todd-like way to deal with something.

So... you've moved this script... where to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can´t believe Adobe makes us change the shortcuts that way... Unbelievable... Suddenly we are in stone age again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dhal_Naka  wrote

I can´t believe Adobe makes us change the shortcuts that way... Unbelievable... Suddenly we are in stone age again...

Have you seen the keyboard shortcut editor in Premiere Pro? It looks wonderful. PLEASE JOIN ME in filing a feature request for After Effects to have similar functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already resquested Adobe to make something like photoshop too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see a Premiere Pro style shortcut editor in Ae too  - and I have requested it : )

What I'd like to see even more is that Adobe get their product teams to talk and work with each other so we don't end up with a different design of keyboard shortcut editor (or any other common feature)  in every application...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved by the new version?

What an awkward and unreal way to have to do this. The help pages are of no use as it looks like they've changed this.

Put in a feature request. Copy/paste if you want to make additional request:

Would like to be able to edit/create custom keyboard shortcuts. This came up as I'm using the standard Apple Keyboard W/O keypad, so numeric keyboard shortcuts are unavailable. The text method is cumbersome and not clear.

Also, I  do not see the file you refer to in the help pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Ae CC2018 has a new shortcut editor : )

AEShortcutEditor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah just found on YouTube.

Adobe up your game and update your help pages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattb2461688  wrote

Adobe up your game and update your help pages!

What help pages were you on that need to be updated? I can forward it to someone at Adobe to get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I'll pass it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines