• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting position of a dash from side to side

Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! This is probably a simple thing, but I can't figure it out. You know how can adjust one character up and down using the baseline shift? Is there a way to do that... except from side to side?

I have an agenda with a start time, a dash, and end time and the event. The start time, end time and events are tabbed so they all line up. But I can't do that with the dash between the start and end times because I want it centered... and those spaces vary depending on the time. So I'd like to scoot that dash a little left or right so that visually it looks like it's centered.

I've attached a screenshot that shows what it looks like with invisible characters turned on (left) and off (right).

I was just adding spaces after the start times and that works for the most part. But I thought maybe there was a more elegant way of doing that, as it is not perfectly centered when I do that.

Also, I just realized that in the example image, the start times all sort of line up. But that isn't the case throughout... some are quite a bit longer than others.

I'm using InDesign CC on my iMac. Thank you!example.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Set another tab before the first one, make it center aligned, then type it before each dash (and get rid of the space after each dash).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I wanted the dashes lined up, I would use a center-aligned tab for them.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set another tab before the first one, make it center aligned, then type it before each dash (and get rid of the space after each dash).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your quick responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So if the text is not so complex(involving images, footnotes etc) you can add the text in a table. That would be the easiest way to align the dashes. You can add start time, dash , end time and events in separate columns. The columns with the dashes can be aligned centrally and made a little smaller in width thatn the rest.

Well this is just a quick hack.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Aman. I did that elsewhere in this program... but it didn't occur to me do it in this case. Tables are always helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines