• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is anyone else trying to use a 53 Pencil blue tooth stylus with Sketch?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The description text claims that 53's pressure sensitive, blue tooth Pencil stylus is supported. I'm using an iPad Air 64gb (wifi) running ios 10.3. After "connecting/pairing" the Pencil to the software the only thing Sketch seems to respond to is the speed of the stylus in the flow setting. It seems to recognize neither the Pencils pressure output nor its built-in eraser. I have a $20 Friendly Swede multi-tip (dead stick) stylus that does pretty much the same thing,

Am I missing something, other than a $100 Apple stylus?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

HI Mitchell.

Although the eraser should work in Sketch and Draw, Pencil by 53 is not pressure-sensitive in our drawing apps.

Here's a list of apps (Pencil Ready by FiftyThree) that support Pencil by 53 and the features that are supported in them. Is your eraser working as it should in another app and just not in Sketch?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Mitchell.

Although the eraser should work in Sketch and Draw, Pencil by 53 is not pressure-sensitive in our drawing apps.

Here's a list of apps (Pencil Ready by FiftyThree) that support Pencil by 53 and the features that are supported in them. Is your eraser working as it should in another app and just not in Sketch?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fault.

I needed to present the eraser issue as, "Sketch is not recognizing the Pencils' tip pressure sensitivity nor is it recognizing the other end of the Pencil as anything other than the same tool as the tip. If I select "eraser" with the eraser end of the Pencil I get to erase with either end of the Pencil." I use the Pencil with 53's Paper and it recognizes the eraser end of the device as an eraser. Kinda like Wacom software delegates to the opposing ends of their digitizer pens (not necessarily to their tablet styli).

In most cases other tablet (ios/android) sketch softwares ignore the distinction between the ends of the Pencil, anyway. I guess I was just hoping for a more robust playing field for it on the iPad.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mitchell.

I was surprised too to learn that Pencil by FiftyThree isn't pressure-sensitive in our apps.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Sketch the only application response is to the speed of the stylus across the drawing field. Pressure does not appear to affect ANY changes in any of the selected instruments.

Am I able to import brushes from Photoshop Elements 9? I'll give that a try and let you know if there are changes.

Back Atcha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mitchell.

It's not possible to import brushes from Ps Elements, but it is possible to import brushes from Ps.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines