• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't load pass4press preflight profile

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone to the pass4press website and downloaded the p4p_v11_idcs5_preflight.idpp profile recommend by the magazine I'm creating an ad for. In the Preflight dialog where I should be able to import the profile, I get an error message that says, "Cannot load profile into the same document".

In Preflight, I'm going to Define Profiles window then Load Profile..., then I choose the idpp file provided by pass4press and get the error message.

Any insights as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

The Pass4Press preflight profile loaded just fine in Id 2014. I created a blank profile in Id 2017 and copied over the settings.

It must be some kind of incompatibility with Id 2017. I marking this answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I had already read the prior thread and have the PDF. There is nothing there that helps me solve my issue. InDesign will not let me import the profile. As I said, it pops up the error message "Cannot load profile into the same document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine came up with the answer for that last year when somebody had same issue, Just select the option he mentions.

here:

Stuck at 18% export using "P4P_v10_IDCS5_PDF-X1a"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can just make the profile, they show you screenshot, step by step on their .pdf guide, see page 6:

https://spotonprint.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/pass4press_v11-V2-CC_New-font_singles_NEW.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for trying to help, but both your posts are about Pass4Press PDF export settings, not the Pass4Press Preflight settings utilizing their .indd file to load/import the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry. So what makes their preflight special? i would think the standard preflight setting that come default would be enough, no? Set up cymk, crop marks no overflow text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I don't know what would make their preflight special. I'm just trying to meet the magazine publisher's specifications. It's a UK magazine and they want the PPA Pass4Press specifications. The PPA is a UK organization, and It seems to be a very UK thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in publishing for a UK based company. And I make book covers and entire books. I used the basic preflight setting but I do export based on the .pdf requirements that the printer tells me, or asks for. Which is always a really old version of .pdf like acrobat 4.

wish I could help more. But if it was me, go ahead and layout, inject their .pdf export setting and send that. The final .pdf correctly setup with their colomodes and compression is of more implants to the printer in my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having a problem loading it in CC2014. Have you tried loading with no documents open?

I had already read the prior thread and have the PDF. There is nothing there that helps me solve my issue.

I think you have to take any guide like this with some skepticism, although if the magazine is asking you to use it as their guide you don't have much choice.

Just skimming through the guide there are a few things that are out-of-date or flat out wrong.

The idea that you will get better results making CMYK conversions in Photoshop is not correct because both programs use the same color management system and produce the same conversions. If you wanted to get extra fussy about an image's conversion's color intent (i.e., relative for one image vs. perceptual for another) you can do that via Object>Image Color Settings...

There are significant problems with making the conversion in Photoshop. Once you make the conversion the color is bound to the destination profile. If you make the conversion to ISO Coated 300 and later find out it should have been Coated Fogra39 the only way to get there, unless you've saved the original RGB, is with a destructive CMYK-to-CMYK conversion.

InDesign does not handle trapping either to the document's page items or on export to PDF/X-1a. You have to print the document as separations in order to use ID's trapping preset. It would be a waste of time to adjust the trapping presets because they won't be used on export—the magazine will have to handle trapping at output.

It is true that the profile used to make the conversion to CMYK either in Photoshop or ID will impose a total ink limit, but that won't stop you from exceeding the limit in the page layout. If you are using transparency with images you have to watch out for blending modes like Multiply that can change the CMYK values and exceed limits. Preflight won't check that, you have to use Sep Preview>Ink Limit.

A magazine might require PDF/X-1a so that you are forced to see and accept color in the final CMYK gamut, but any printer with modern equipment will be able to make accurate CMYK conversions at output. So the idea that PDF/X-4 is flawed because it allows RGB objects is not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the insights. I appreciate it. I'm downloading ID 2014 right now to see if that version lets me load the preflight profile. If it does, I copy the settings and manually enter them in ID 2017.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pass4Press preflight profile loaded just fine in Id 2014. I created a blank profile in Id 2017 and copied over the settings.

It must be some kind of incompatibility with Id 2017. I marking this answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Please check with Pass4Press, check if it is compatible with 2017 or not?

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The profile is needed if you're wanting to preflight images – saving time – making sure they're 300dpi and above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines