• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC Pro Password Security Is *NOT* Secure

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, I wanted to secure a report prior to sending to one of our clients.  So, I went through the steps in my Acrobat DC Pro to secure the report PDF file as follows:

Protect > More Options > Security Properties

Security Method > Password Security

Require password to open = Unchecked

Restrict printing and editing = Checked

Printing allowed = Low Resolution (it IS a report, so the client has to be able to print it)

Changes allowed = None

Enable copying of text, images and other content = Unchecked

Enable text access for the visually impaired = Checked

Used a password rated BEST

Compatibility Acrobat 7.0 and later selected

Encrypt all documents radio button selected

Then I emailed the document to my client, whom I know well.  Here is what she was able to do with her Acrobat DC Pro:

Opened the supposedly secure PDF report that I just sent her.

Hit File > Print

Chose Adobe PDF as her printer.

Gave the file a new name "Report-A" and saved it onto her Desktop.

Open the newly printed "Report-A" PDF file in Acrobat DC Pro.

Clicked on Edit and proceeded to edit text, delete text, delete images, insert images, etc. etc. - EVERYTHING that was supposed to be RESTRICTED!

In less than 30 seconds, my supposedly secure report that restricted editing has been opened and edited without putting in the password, completely bypassing the security that I added to my original!

The steps above that I followed to secure the document *used* to actually secure it so that if my PDF was reprinted using the Adobe PDF distiller, it was "printed" as embedded image bitmaps - in other words *not editable*.  Now, all of a sudden - reprinting a secured document using distiller is producing a FULLY EDITABLE document!

What's going on Adobe?!?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You allowed printing, so what's the problem? The application only enforces what you tell it to. It's not going to make assumptions about what you want or don't want to be done with the file. That's up to you. If you don't want people to be able to "re-fry" the file (ie, generate a new, static PDF file from it), then you must forbid printing.

Sorry, I was mistaken about that. Acrobat will prevent you from re-frying a secured PDF file, but other PDF printers might not.

And by the way, there are PDF viewers out there that won't respect any security policy at all... This is clearly stated when you first apply it in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing a secured document to "Adobe PDF" will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you're right... I'm betting they didn't use the Adobe PDF printer but something else with a similar name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines