• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am trying to create a subfolder for images dumped into "previous import."

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click on the folder in which I want to create the needed subfolder, create subfolder is not an option. If I click on the + at the top of the Folders panel, I do get the option to create a subfolder. It sends me back to the subfolder on the source drive from which I originally imported the images. But at that point I am stuck; I cannot reimport them as they have already been imported, and I cannot create a subfolder in the Folders panel to put the already imported images into. So what do I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

You can easily make such a subfolder during the import (Copying or Moving the images), and I suggest this is the better way.

As has already been explained, "Previous Import" is merely a special convenience view showing the most recent batch of imported images, which may comprise images across multiple folders.

Also: if preferred, LR can be set NOT to change to Previous Import view, each time you bring some more images in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I click on the + at the top of the Folders panel, I do get the option to create a subfolder. It sends me back to the subfolder on the source drive from which I originally imported the images.

I'm not sure I udnerstand this part, I can create any subfolder I want via this method. Can you show us a screen capture or explain in more detail?

By the way, I'm not sure I'm understanding the purpose of creating a subfolder here, there's nothing problematic about having images in "Previous Import", that's where all photos go when they are imported. It is NOT a folder, it is just a special collections of image created by LR, and does not imply that the photos are in a different folder now. Nor do I understand the purpose of importing photos and then putting them into a subfolder ... this can all be done before import in your operating system, or during import by changing the destination to the desired subfolder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Right-Click the folder name you can use the "create folder inside...." option

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 10.46.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I right click on the folder in which I want to make the subfolder, I do not get the "create folder inside" option. I get only these: Find Missing Folder, Remove, Hide This Parent, Show Parent Folder. So how do I make the subfolder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get "Find Missing Folder" than the folder must be MISSING as that option does not show up if the folder is not missing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, good idea. I tried that and the following happened. A new folder, not a subfolder, appeared. With the correct name. The parent folder that I wanted this to be a subfolder of disappeared. The new folder, which was supposed to be a subfolder, has the correct material in it, but also several thousand images which do not belong in there. So I will highlight them and move them to their proper folders. So what happened to the parent level folder? How is it possible that Adobe cannot find software designers who can make this process transparent and simple? Aperture had many fatal flaws but the file structure issue was super simple and intuitive. This is horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I suggest a good tutorial from Laura Shoe-   (It is a little dated, but still relevant.)

http://laurashoe.com/2012/08/16/video-tutorial-organize-manage-photos-and-folders-in-lightroom/?utm_...

And this page from Victoria Bampton-

https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/how-do-i-reorganize-my-folders-panel.31187/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know how long you have been using Lightroom, but there really is an easier way if you haven't put too much effort into using folders. That easier method is to assign keywords and other metadata to you photos, and then use the keywords and other metadata to search and find your photos, and all of this creating folders and subfolders becomes irrelevant and unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily make such a subfolder during the import (Copying or Moving the images), and I suggest this is the better way.

As has already been explained, "Previous Import" is merely a special convenience view showing the most recent batch of imported images, which may comprise images across multiple folders.

Also: if preferred, LR can be set NOT to change to Previous Import view, each time you bring some more images in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines