Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will only Save As, even when pressing command-S

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm a relatively experienced Photoshop user who recently upgraded to CC 2017. Currently, however, I am unable to simply save photoshop documents... every time I press command-S (or even click the "save" option from the file menu) it gives me the Save As dialog box. I am a borderline compulsive "saver" (i.e. I'm used to just hitting command S after almost everything I do) so this wastes lots of time and is pretty annoying. I've also looked around a little bit for an answer to this question, and while other people have experienced the same thing, I've not yet run into a confirmed solution.

Here are some details about the document I'm currently working on:

- psd file format, created from scratch (i.e. I made a new psd document and have not saved it as anything other than a psd document)

- 16 bits/channel

- RGB color

- Layered

- Command-S is definitely mapped to save (at least according to the file menu)

- Photoshop is behaving completely normally aside from this issue

All of the above being said, I've experienced this issue on every psd document that I've created so far in CC 2017.

I work on a 2014 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch) running Yosemite (10.10.5).

Sorry in advance if this question has already been answered and I just missed it. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

doedesign  wrote

I'm sorry, I do not understand this response. Are you saying that photoshop essentially doesn't know what type of file I want to save? This doesn't make sense to me...

If you open a new document you did not open a file. In fiact there is no file backing the new document  so if you use save Photoshop has no Idea where you wnat toe save you net document as an image file. It will switch to saves ans and default to some filet type with your dicument name.  However Photoshop need you t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are open a flat file type like Jpeg, Png etc. Add layers if you use Scarves Ctrl_S Photoshop will switch to Save As.  You can save a jpeg from Save as.  Photoshop will save a Jpeg for you it will be a flat composite of the open document and the document in Photoshop will still have the layers you added.  If you use Ctrl+S again it will switch to Save As again and by default want to save a PSD layered file.

A new document that has not been saved has no backing file so Ctrl+S Photoshop would not know what type of image file you want to save or where to save it so Photoshop would have to switch to Save As. So you can provide the information.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I do not understand this response. Are you saying that photoshop essentially doesn't know what type of file I want to save? This doesn't make sense to me... I have a psd document open, so when I save, shouldn't it just save over that same document? This is how it seems to have worked in all the previous versions of photoshop I've used.

Re: flat file types such as jpeg and png, for this specific document I am simply creating a pattern for use in other documents, so I don't foresee ever needing to save this as anything other than a psd. Shouldn't I be able to just save my work as I go along?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

doedesign  wrote

I'm sorry, I do not understand this response. Are you saying that photoshop essentially doesn't know what type of file I want to save? This doesn't make sense to me...

If you open a new document you did not open a file. In fiact there is no file backing the new document  so if you use save Photoshop has no Idea where you wnat toe save you net document as an image file. It will switch to saves ans and default to some filet type with your dicument name.  However Photoshop need you to set where this file should be written.

doedesign  wrote

I have a psd document open

If you opened a PSD file in to Photoshop as a Document Photoshop knows the files backing the open document. If you use  Save Photoshop will save ovet the backing PSD file.  However If you Opened a Flat file like Jpeg, PNG, and you add some layers and use save Photoshop could flatten and save ovet the backing file but you would loose your layers.  So instaed of doing that Photoshop will switch to save as you can the save a Jpeg or take Photoshop PSD suggestion and save a layer PSD document.  If you do Photoshop will save the PSD and swicch  the document in Photoshop the from jpeg, png etc to  PSD   that has the new PSD as its backing file.  If you save as Jped  the Dociment in photoshop will stil have layers but the Jpeg file saved will not have layers for Jpeg does not support layers.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines