• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to deal with continuously rasterize switch?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with an effect I'm trying to use.

I'd simply like to make a circle which builds up from its centre. I therefore use the effect 'radial wipe'.

My problem is, when I want to watch my whole project, the effects looks different from what it actually looks like when I watch it in the precomposition where it's inside.

This is the way it looks in the precomp & how it should look like:

Kreis_Richtig.PNG

But when I watch my Main Comp, where the precomp is inside, it looks like this:

Kreis_falsch.PNG

I just realized that this odd behaviour changes when I disable the collapse composition / continuously rasterize box. Unfortunately I have to activate it to have a nice sharp image (I'm using vector graphics from Illustrator).

I wonder how others handle that problem. I tried using bigger source files from Illustrator, so I don't have to activate the box, but even this left the edges very washed out.

Another way is to resize the image in After Effects, then precompose and only activate the box for the actual layer, not the new precomposition.

But these are ways which don't allow a good workflow, especially when I'm importing files from Illustrator with many different layers and have to resize every single one.

So, how do you realize a nice workflow between Illustrator and After Effects so you don't have to struggle with unsharp images?

(I'm using After Effects Cs6)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017
So, how do you realize a nice workflow between Illustrator and After Effects so you don't have to struggle with unsharp images?

you start by reading this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-still-images.html#preparing_and_importing_illustrator_files

as for continuously rasterize/collapse transformation switch, read here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/layers.html#continuously_rasterize_a_layer_containing_vector_graphics

as for unsharp images, read here:

Creating and editing text layers in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you start by reading this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-still-images.html#preparing_and_impo...

as for continuously rasterize/collapse transformation switch, read here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/layers.html#continuously_rasterize_a_layer_containing_ve...

as for unsharp images, read here:

Creating and editing text layers in After Effects

if you want to use the switch and scale your graphics, the effects won't behave as you would expect and that's a limitation you have to consider. you can scale your graphics in Ae with the switch on, then precomp, then apply the effect (don't turn the switch on for the precomp) and the result will be as expected. for the unsharp images for your graphics - if your graphics is not pushing over its 100%, then it's probably have to do with it not aligned on the pixel grid. read here on what our community's Tribe Elder Rick Gerard has to say about it: Re: (PROBLEM) Blurry margin of shapes

here's a tip: this type of radial wipe, you might consider using the trim path operator on a shape stroke, and not radial wipe effect on a fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, to be blunt, this makes no sense. If all you want to do is wipe on a circle, then by all means simply use AE's tried and tested circle effect. And Roei already pointed out a million ways how to make it simpler and better with shape layers, too. As for stuff looking fuzzy from AI even when scaled up, it might be useful for you to read up on how AI handles DPI/ PPI and how to design your artwork to spec.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines