• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronize issues with a moved folder

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a top level folder with a lot of sub folders that were moved from one drive to another.  After restarting LR I used the "Update Folder Location" menu item and all folders and files are recognized.

If I do a Synchronize Folder on the top level folder it says ~12k files need to be imported.  If I have the import dialog displayed before importing there is nothing to import regardless of what the ignore duplicates checkbox says.  (There are no duplicates in the actual folders.)

Is there some way to resolve this short of creating a new catalog?  Can I remove the top level folder from the catalog and re-add it?  If so, will the edits stay intact as long as the .xmp files stay with the image files?

Thanks

Dennis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

It is when new images are imported that the synchronize says there are ~12k images to import.

I don't understand.

You have imported new images, and then you want to synchronize? Why isn't importing sufficient? Why do you need to synchronize after import?

Also, that's the proper behavior of synchronize, it just counts photos in the selected folder(s). It doesn't attempt to determine if the photos are duplicates that should not be imported, until you click on Synchronize and actually start the proce

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear to me that anything is working improperly here. It seems to me that you are going to do lots of work and take actions when none are needed.

Why are you trying to Import or Synchronize folders that have your photos in them and are properly in the catalog after you did the Update Folder Location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is when new images are imported that the synchronize says there are ~12k images to import.  I could replicate the behavior just by doing the sync process on the top level folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is when new images are imported that the synchronize says there are ~12k images to import.

I don't understand.

You have imported new images, and then you want to synchronize? Why isn't importing sufficient? Why do you need to synchronize after import?

Also, that's the proper behavior of synchronize, it just counts photos in the selected folder(s). It doesn't attempt to determine if the photos are duplicates that should not be imported, until you click on Synchronize and actually start the process, then it will most likely find nothing to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I have the wrong work flow, but this behavior started after I moved a top level folder.

I transfer images from the camera to the computer with Bridge.  After that I go to LR and synchronize the top level folder where the images were placed by the Bridge process.   I then synchronize the top level folder that was originally imported into LR so that LR has the new images in the catalog.

The top level folder is camera make and model with shot date sub folders underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using Bridge and not Lightroom to import, kinda causing you issues.

As Paige has stated what Synchronise does is count files then when activated will detect Dupilcates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No particular reason, was just using Bridge before I started using LR.  I'll switch to using LR to do the import.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines