• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 & video cards-can I use a card not on the list?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a hardware question. I'm running the CS6 suite to edit video. My system specs are: AMD Quad-core CPU running at 4.1 Ghz, 24GB of DDR3 Ram, 250GB SSD as my main drive (O.S. & programs only), 120GB SSD as my working drive for video, and 3TB WD 7,200rpm drive for storage. I am currently using on-baord graphics of the MoBo which is inadequate for 1080p video at higher bitrates. The list of officially supported cards for CS6 is short and not very powerful. I'd like to upgrade to something a little better. I have in mind a GTX 1050 (not on the list) and was told by someone on an other section of this forum that I could amend the cuda_supported_cards.txt file by adding this model and saving it but she referred me to the hardware forum to be sure. Anyone know if this will work? Anyone running CS6 with a newer video card not on the list? Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks.

[Please do not double post, deleted thread in cs6 forum, mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, I am running a GTX 1060 6GB card in CS6/

But I am afraid you are expecting too much out of a new GPU.  I doubt you will see any  improvement  with "which is inadequate for 1080p video at higher bitrates".  IF you are not using any GPU accelerated effects or features the GPU change will not do you any good,  You have (I am guessing an A10-6800K) a quad core but no hyperthreading processor that is four years old and does not have all the improved instruction sets that the Intel processors have and Adobe uses.  Sorry about that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, thanks for your quick reply. Actually my system, which I built from components, is newer than that. I built it in summer of 2015 and it is an ASUS A88x-Pro MoBo with a AMD socket FM-2+ processor. And of course the constant march of progress means that it doesn't take long for there to be a newer and better thing and we wind up with system-envy. If I had it to do over I probably should have gone with an Intel-based build? Does it really make that much difference when using the Adobe suite?

So you're using a graphics card with CS6 that is NOT on the official supported list? What did you have to do to get the GPU acceleration to work with CS6? Is it just a matter of adding the model number to the cuda_supported_card.txt file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD is finally catching up with better CPU's to run Premier Pro.  The new Ryzen CPU's are now doing much better performance-wise and typically less expensive than Intel

I have installed many other GPU's not on "the" list.  Just make sure you use the correct name that you can get by running GPUSniffer.exe like this:

This for  instance is my laptop which has a "GeForce GTX 765M" from the "Name" above, see my CUDA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill...now I feel like I'm getting somewhere...one more question (I hope)...I don't have GPUSniffer on my computer so I searched for a download site and the first 20-30 responses on google were almost all related to fixing GPUSniffer errors or the corrupt program...is this thing loaded with inherent problems? Is there a reliable site to get it from where I won't have to run another program to fix errors in GPUSniffer (to unclog it's nose, so to speak)...thanks so much for your time and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have CS6 installed look here:

You have to open a CMD window and then navigate to the correct file location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines