• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove white background from a scanned sketch in Photoshop CC?

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that there are kill white filters already, however these do not work in Photoshop CC.

How can I remove the white? Selecting the white and then selecting inverse will not work as the face and clothing are outlines without gaps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Magic Wand to select the white and before doing that, uncheck the "Contiguous" option in the Wand Options at the top.

Contiguous means "neighboring" white areas, unchecking it will select all white areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Magic Wand doesn't do a very good job removing white backgrounds with greyscale scanned sketches.

Instead, use a proper color to transparency filter.

Download Krita for free (www.krita.org), and open your sketches. Then choose Filters-->Colors-->ColorToAlpha.

Done. Save as a PSD, open the file in Photoshop and start colouring in Photoshop (although arguably the colouring tools in Krita are more adept at this type of work compared to Photoshop 😉 )

It is a bit silly the "industry standard" still doesn't offer a similar function to make life easier. Just about any other image editor does by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines