• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to make a beast 4k workstation -budget ($5000) - switching from Mac.

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally was going to go with a x99 mobo platform but learned that they are on their way out. With that I was going to go for the i-7 6900k off of people's recommendations (puget), but now I'm thinking to switch to the x299 platform despite the bad press. I would probably go with the i-9 7900k since it's the proper entry cpu to the system. Are the heating issues as bad as people say?

Here's my intended setup - please help me in deciding components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Like I stated in the title I'm switching from the OSX because I need a proper editing station for the right cost.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you seen this thread?

Any one pre-order the new X299 motherboard with an Intel I9 processor?

I was on a similar path to you, and had the i9-7920X in min, but had not homed in on a motherboard. Issues around cooling being one of the factors.  However, since we now have more information for Threadripper and Ryzen 3, I am now leaning that way.

AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper, Challenges Intel With 12C/16C For $799 and $999

It's hard to ignore paying $400 less for a similar spec CPU, and there's an X399 motherboard I am liking the look of in the ASRock Pro Gaming.  It has eight SATA ports, 10 USB3.0 ports, three M.2 sockets and a U.2 socket.    With 60 plus lanes, I'm thinking those ports can be used at the same time.  I think I have read that some X299 boards share capacity between M.2 and SATA.  We are short on real information for the X399 boards, like memory speed for instance, and that could push me back to i9 / X299.

ASRock Demos X399 ‘ThreadRipper’ Motherboards: M.2, U.2, 10 GbE, & More

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link just loads the empty list page for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd wait until puget systems does a premiere article comparing threadripper to i-9. Premiere just doesn't seem to care too much past 10 cores until you can raise the clock speed. the threadrippers are turboe'd at only 4ghz and may be a waste of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I'll edit a melt together of all the footage on one large video file. I'll

try to get it uploaded by the end of the week if that works!

Best,

Charles

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:27 AM, chrisw44157881 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current setup:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tm4FkT

Also have a Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 and Logitech Master 2S and love them for editing.

Two BenQ monitors coming soon.

All in all probably around $5k. May look into Threadripper later this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

isn´t the 7820X a good option too?

Apart from puget I can´t find much information about this chip. And no informaiton at all about overclocking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juanp8875863  wrote

isn´t the 7820X a good option too?

You might need to look carefully at your storage options with the 7820X.  With just 28 lanes, some of the motherboard reviews I have seen swap resources between PCIe, M.2 and even SATA sockets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most motherboards let you use at least 1 pcie for gpu amd 2 m.2 sockets without losing speed or losing a couple of sata ports which is not a bad deal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Asus X299-A Prime is any indication, with a 28-lane CPU the third PCI-e x16 slot swaps resources with the first PCI-e x4 slot. And on that motherboard, regardless of the CPU installed the second PCI-e x4 slot swaps resources with four of the eight SATA ports. And the PCI-e x1 slot swaps resources with the USB 3.1 (USB-C) port. (All eight SATA ports and the USB 3.1 controller are enabled by default, thus disabling the second PCI-e x4 and the PCI-e x1 slot.)

This is specific to that motherboard, but may be typical for most X299 motherboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The irony of it all is  that Premiere never fully utilize the power thrown into the machines and we waste money to make  very minimum gains

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's true above a certain point. Below that the system will begin to get choked: Far too often we have had people wondering if their cheaper, lower-specced PCs were powerful enough to run Premiere and edit comfortably fast with it.

Do you want your PC to pull a choke job, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines