Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 Publish video 0kb mp4

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to decide of adobe captivate is right for recording our tutorials. I downloaded and setup the demo, recorded a quick screen project, publish > video.. All i get is a 0kb file with an mp4 extension.

Assuming this is not normal, can i please get some assistance on fixing this issue to make sure it works before spending the money on the program since its' not included with the CC suite yet?

Win 10, Captivate 2017

Thank you! !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Collyn,

You're right, that would not be normal. Can you list what steps you took to screen record the demo For example did you select " "Record a New Software Simulation" or "Video Demo". If you didn't do either,  I suspect you may have misunderstood how Captivate works in regard to screen capture and publishing.

Cheers,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps i took:

Open Prog > Blank Project > File > Record a new > Video Demo

Screen area checked

Full Screen

Monitor 1

(3840 x 2160 res)

No Narration

Record

I can record the demo. The i can exit with Ctrl + Shift + F12 or similar. It then created the movie for me to review and make a rdmp4 file. I then go to:

File > Publish > change the settings and then it exports a 0kb mp4 file.

do i have to publish it from the preview window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think there is a mismatch somewhere, see responses below in bold..

Open Prog > Blank Project > File > Record a new > Video Demo

Screen area checked

Full Screen

Monitor 1

(3840 x 2160 res) (This could be the issue, I suspect you are using a 4k monitor, I've heard of recording problems with 4K resolutions. if that is the case set your monitor resolution to HD and you should be fine.)

No Narration

Record

I can record the demo. The i can exit with Ctrl + Shift + F12 or similar. It then created the movie for me to review and make a rdmp4 file. I then go to:

File > Publish > change the settings (change the setting to what? You should have about four video presets ) and then it exports a 0kb mp4 file.

do i have to publish it from the preview window? (no you should be able to publish directly from Captivate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just made sure my output resolution was going to be the same as what i recorded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i'm going to try this:

Embedding event video in a Responsive Project

Seems to be what i am experiencing. Anyone know what they mean by VR folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish to HTML5 you end up with a folder having several

subfolders for assets. One of those subfolders is labeled 'vr' (video).

On Jul 17, 2017 2:58 PM, "collynss82425195" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the "vr" folder.

What i have discovered is that this program will not record in 4k and or publish in 4k.

I can record and publish up to 1080p only. Can anyone else verify this? Microsoft Expressions Encoder screen capture can do 4k record and 1080p output but the wmv codec doesn't play nice with adobe software on windows. If this software could work at a 4k recording resolution and publish in 4k it would be worth paying for as for right now, it's kinda of a big let down.

Win 10, Captivate 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have no video, it is not created when publishing. If you have no

audio, no ar subfolder will be created neither.

On Jul 17, 2017 3:48 PM, "collynss82425195" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Collyne,

There are a couple of good reasons why you would not want to publish to 4K.

If you recorded and published in 4K your project size would be huge, and probably other issues for your learners regardless of what software you used.  There are also very few 4K monitors, in wide use,  that could take advantage of this resolution and no mobile devices. I can't think of one good reason why you would want to record a screen simulation in 4K unless you are projecting it on a huge screen (think auditorium)   

Finally, If you want to produce 4K material you will need to upgrade your editing software to a professional one, Windows Movie Maker doesn't cut it.

Cheers,
Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Editing on a dual GPU machine w/ Premiere & AE. I use the Windows garbage player as an amateur point of playback to make sure the codecs are friendly on all formats.

I would like to record in 4k so i can later zoom in/out myself. The final content will ultimately be 1080p. I agree that the file size would be very cumbersome if it was to remain 4k.

The native resolution of the software i'm attempting to record is 1280 x 1024, however, it takes a minimum of 4 screens to run the program properly, hence the 4k appeal. All screens open, very nice work flow, zoom later in post to the areas of attention.

After speaking with phone support at length, they are also able to recreate this problem and they are working on it. So it seems as it's a bug and will be fixed in future versions. Until then, I'll continue to use Expressions to record the 4k in the weird wmv codec that no adobe product likes 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Collyn.

Now that makes a lot more sense!  Thanks for clarifying. You may want to take a look at Camtasia for screen recording, or production for that matter. It supports numerous codecs including .AVI and .Mov so you can export uncompressed, bring it into AE or PP and add annotations or narrative pretty easily. 

Cheers,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources