• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failing a Quiz Based on an Incorrect Answer

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 15 question quiz and my client wants a person to fail the quiz if they get question 4 and 6 wrong, but wants the points for each question to be the same. I'm using Captivate 9. How can I have the user fail the entire quiz for those 2 questions? Thanks for the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you need to do is assign a penalty to question 4 and 6. Let's say you are awarding 1 point per question. If you wish to allow them to pass when they miss just 1 of the 2 answers, assign a penalty of 2 points to question 4 and 6. If you want them to fail if they miss either of these questions, just raise the penalty to 4 points for question 4 and 6.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was assuming the default passing grade of 80% so that's clear. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the passpercentage required by the client?

I suppose the result will be transferred to a LMS, will you show both points and %? Is passing based only on % or only on score?

If you want to go with penalty points, this information is important. 

When the user fails.µon question 4 or 6 it has no sense to continue the quiz for the learner.

To be learner friendly what has to happen: leave choice to continue anyway or to retake quiz immediately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your responses. Yes the passing grade would be 80%. The problem with the penalty points is negative points do not work with SCORM 1.2. I tried publishing in SCORM 2004, but it causes a weird side bar on the left side of the course in our LMS (Cornerstone). Also I'm not sure if there'll be any other issues when it comes to reporting. Only the percentage and number of attempts will be displayed, but our client said that they are ok just having a fail message, if needs be.  They'd prefer to have the learner go through the entire quiz, but they're open to having the user retake the quiz immediately when one of the fail questions is answered incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCORM 1.2 cannot have a negative total score, but you can use penalty

points for individual questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the penalty, it doesn't seem to impact the total score. I scored each question as 1 point and put a penalty of 5 for the questions that are suppose to fail the learner if they get it wrong. It seems that the penalty just causes that question to equal 0 points instead of carrying over to the total score. When I test and get 1 of the penalty questions wrong the percentage and points only represent getting the question wrong and doesn't subtract the penalty from the total score. I hope that explanation makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is possible, I never used a penalty bigger than the score. Be patient,

I have another solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to post additional information in case someone else runs into he same problem.  I'll wait for your solution and really appreciate your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two possible scenarios:

1. You want to allow the learner to take all questions, and they'll only see the failure at the end. Your settings as I saw were: 15 questions with 2p score each, pass requirement = 80%, score will not be made visible. For failure the Percentage will not be show, only a Failure message. For Success, the Percentage will be correct.

2. If the learner fails question 4 (or Question 6) he will get a warning message about probable failure. He then gets the choice to continue the quiz (as a practice) or to restart immediately an attempt on Quiz level.

I had hoped to be able to write both scenarios out in a blog post, but after vacations all the work was/is waiting and have not enough time.

For scenario 1 this is the idea:

• add a score of 1 point to each question
  • create a user variable (boolean) v_success with a default value of 1; it will  be set to 0 if question 4 and/or question 6 is failed.
  • insert a short slide after each question slide; it will be a 'Success' slide, can have an image, a text, animation, whatever you want (could be same slide for all questions) and have a scored button on that slide (Next) with a score of 1 point.
  • create a conditional advanced action that will be triggered On Enter for those Success slides:
    • IF v_success is equal to 1
      • Continue
    • ELSE
      • Go to Next Slide
  • For the critical questions 4 and 6, you need a standard advanced action to be attached to the Failure event:
    • Assign v_success with 0
    • Go to Next Slide  

The result will be that each correct question gets 2 points (1p from the question and 1p from the Next button on the Success slide). When Question 4 or 6 are failed, correct questions after those critical questions will not get 2p but only 1p. Since there are still 9 questions after 6, they'll never get the Pass score. You have to make sure that they don't see the Percentage because it will look odd. You could calculate the correct percentage for failure but I understood that was not necessary. The percentage on Success for the quiz will be perfect.

If you need scenario 2, Will try to write it out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri for coming back with a solution. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to explain this. Scenario 1 is exactly what I need. I'll try it out and let you know how it all works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will answer later with alternative solutions for penalty points since you

only need a %..Same for the warning, I am on the road, no CP on my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an alternative to the penalty that might work for your situation. Create a conditional action for the on-enter portion of the slide just after question 4 and question 6. You could use the same advanced action for each slide.

If ( cpQuizInfoLastSlidePointScored != 10 )

Jump to Slide [Quiz Results Slide ]

Even if they get all the other questions correct up until this point they will fail. This will also ensure that they will not get a negative score.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Paul. I ended up doing something similar by putting an action on the Last Attempt section of the Quiz and said Jump to Quiz Results Slide.  This made it so that if they got the question wrong they immediately went to the results page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great to hear.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources