• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upon opening random INDD files, INDD freezes (never-ending spinning wheel)

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some files, it works fine, for other files, it simply freezes and never loads.  I don't have any other way to describe this and I have absolutely no idea why this happens.  It feels completely at random.  There is one consistency, however, if a file won't open, it never will, it will always cause INDD to freeze.  Please help!

Additional Info:

- Purchased INDD file from Envato Market
- Other files which do work were also purchased from Envato

On rare occasion, it will freeze upon startup as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the freezing happen with new INDD files you create from scratch in your copy of InDesign?

What version of InDesign are you running and on which operating system and version?

Please provide links to the Envato page for the files you purchased. They may show something that can help me understand the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply!  I am using CC 2017.  Here is the link: https://graphicriver.net/item/real-estate-brochure/15585550

Windows 10 Personal (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this occurs with my own "made from scratch" as I haven't made any as of yet...however, this freezing does occur on startup at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting InDesign's preferences and launch WITHOUT double-clicking on a file you got from Graphic River. Just start up a new document, add some images, some text, and try working in it to see if it freezes. If not, then try opening the Graphic River files from the File > Open menu command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was able to bring up a prompt which reads "Delete InDesign Preference files?"

Now, I don't believe I've ever created any "custom" anything aside from swatches, etc...but I'm not overly concerned about that.  What else would I have to "backup" upon deleting? 

I won't delete until you reply so I don't mess anything up.  I keep seeing things about "replacing" but this says "delete", so I just want to be sure of what I am doing before I proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I went ahead and did it.  I was able to create a new file, drew random thigns and typed random text.  It was successful.  File > Open was able to open a premade INDD file.

However, when I went to open the file which caused me to begin this thread, INDD freezes (spinning wheel) and never resolves.

I wanted to upload the file to here for you to see, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't upload the file here (security concerns). You need to post it on a service like Dropbox, and post a link to it to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve!  Thanks for the response.  Here is the dropbox link to the file I am having a problem with:

Dropbox - BlueLetter.indd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

I see no principle problem with the document.

It should open with InDesign CS6 and above without freezing.

What is your exact version of InDesign on what OS ?

Did you install the necessary fonts for the document?
I did not. Perhaps one of the fonts is the problem…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign CC 2017 release (monthly purchase from Adobe).  It just froze on startup again.  I am completely confused by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

The files link seems to be broken. I was not able to test it on my CC 2017. Did you try the suggestion made by Laubender? Is it happening with this specific file? Can you share the link once again?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Oh and thanks for the reply.  The fonts are not the origin of the problem I'm afraid.  Link: Dropbox - BlueLetter.indd

The freeze/crash occurs on startup at times as well (when clicking InDesign itself, not when clicking a file which will open InDesign). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

sorry. I have no solution.

As I said, I cannot see a problem with the document.

To test that I did not download any needed fonts ( and I do not have the missing images that InDesign will detect with the document ). Hm. I am using the document open dialog with InDesign and do not double-click the file of the document on my harddisk.

All tests done with InDesign CS6 and CC 2017.1 on Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.
German system and apps.

It's very difficult to trace problems like yours. You said that InDesign is freezing sometimes after restart even without opening a document.

Wild guessing: Try to minimize the number of apps that will start automatically with your machine. Especially browser software. After a restart first try to start InDesign and then other software if necessary.

And when we at it: Are you using any startup scripts other than the one installed by Adobe? Any 3rd-party software (plug-ins) installed with InDesign? Fontmanagement apps that are available with InDesign? Something else?

What you could also try:
Do a new user account on your machine and start with the new account…

I'm out of suggestions now. Sorry…

Regards,
Uwe

BTW: Don't know if Om is working at the weekend.
I think he'll come back to you at Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay in response due to weekend. I was able to open your file without any issues and delay. Although there were missing links and fonts (expected) which let me assume that it could be related to any of these assets (links or fonts). Was it created in an older version? Can you check by removing the links?

I've saved an IDML version of the file. Click here to download it. Open it and resave it as INDD and check if this fix the issue.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ohm, and I understand about the weekend .

Sadly for me, I downloaded the file, attempted to open it, and it failed to open.  Froze once again.  I am completely baffled by this.  I have no idea why you would be able to open it but not me.  Aside from opening the file and removing the links, is there another way to do so without having to open the file?  ...mainly because I cannot open the file lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the version of InDesign you are using? Changing or modifying links without opening the file, I am not sure if that can be done. If there's any way, I believe our experts here would let us know.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the monthly subscription, Adobe InDesign CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to open the file on a different computer and then replace/modify the links?

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer available (or one that I can access CC from) to do so with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohmnath  wrote

… Was it created in an older version?

Hi Om,

yes. The document was created with the very first version of InDesign CS6 v 8.0.0.
But that should not matter much. I opened it in CS6 v 8.1.0 without problems. And I opened it with CC 2017.1 without any problems.

@Charles – you could try to install an earlier version of InDesign with your CC Desktop app—I'd suggest CS6—and open the document with CS6 after the fresh install.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.  I can't seem to find the earlier version of INDD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, found it.  I am installing the earlier version, will see if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried CS6 8.0.0, still did not work .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines