• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checkmark box, Radio button or Dropdown list

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still confused on which to use. Basically I want a user to be able to pick multiple selections with at least one selection REQUIRED. I  love the radio button but I read only one selection can be picked. But then I read that the checkmark allow multiple selections but it allows user not to select atleast one ( is this true?) - I am trying to avoid the Dropdown list but does it seem like my only choice? - Also can I accomplish this using individual radio buttons instead of the radio button group? I have over 25 selections. Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

SisterMargaret  wrote

But then I read that the checkmark allow multiple selections but it allows user not to select atleast one ( is this true?)

No it's not true. You can use jQuery, javascript or php to check that at least one checkbox option has been chosen. Below is some sample code using jQuery:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<title>Checkbox Validation</title>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.2.1.min.js" integrity="sha256-hwg4gsxgFZhOsEEamdOYGBf13FyQuiTwlAQgxVSNgt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the HTML5 doctype, you can do this in a <select>, using the "required" and "multiple" attributes...

<select multiple required style="width:200px">

<option disabled>Control-Click to Select Multiple</option>

<option value="1">Option 1</option>

<option value="2">Option 2</option>

<option value="3">Option 3</option>

</select>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SisterMargaret  wrote

But then I read that the checkmark allow multiple selections but it allows user not to select atleast one ( is this true?)

No it's not true. You can use jQuery, javascript or php to check that at least one checkbox option has been chosen. Below is some sample code using jQuery:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<title>Checkbox Validation</title>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.2.1.min.js" integrity="sha256-hwg4gsxgFZhOsEEamdOYGBf13FyQuiTwlAQgxVSNgt4=" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

<script>

// checkbox validation

$(function(){

$("#select").submit(function(){

var checked = $(".selection:checked").length > 0;

if (!checked){

alert("Please choose at least one option");

return false;

}

});

});

</script>

</head>

<body>

<h2>Please select your options</h2>

<form method='post' id="select" action=''>

<p><input type="checkbox" name="selection[]" class="selection" title="selection" value="Red"/> Red</p>

<p><input type="checkbox" name="selection[]" class="selection" title="selection" value="Yellow"/> Yellow</p>

<p><input type="checkbox" name="selection[]" class="selection" title="selection" value="Green"/> Green</p>

<p><input type="checkbox" name="selection[]" class="selection" title="selection" value="Blue"/> Blue</p>

<p><input type="submit" name="submit" class="submit" value="SUBMIT"></p>

</form>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Your answer was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SisterMargaret  wrote

Thank you. Your answer was very helpful.

No problem. If you need any more help then post back - someone will be able to help you out I'm sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines