Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with opacity InDesign | Illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys

I set a box with C0 M0 Y0 K94 in InDesign and if I place an element from Illustrator with an opacity under 100% on the element, the element gets darker than before although the color code is the same.

Then I created the same box in Illustrator and I got the darker element like in InDesign when I place an element with an opacity under 100%.

Who can help me?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-16 um 23.48.49.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-16 um 23.48.44.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even sure what you're asking. Can you please give us a better description?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

I used a rectangle with C0 M0 Y0 K94 as a background of a page in InDesign.

And when I try to copy a vectorised element from Illustrator to InDesign everything is okay. But if I change the opacity of this element the background in InDesign gets darker. Maybe it should be mentioned that the vectorised element is created by Image Trace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the blend mode set to? What is the transparency blend space set to? How are you measuring the fact that it's darker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added screenshots to support my explanation.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-17 um 19.14.05.png Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-17 um 19.14.10.png

This is darker:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-17 um 19.14.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the blend mode set to?

How you can see in my screenshots: the blend mode should set to "normal"

What is the transparency blend space set to?

What do you mean exactly?

How are you measuring the fact that it's darker?

Because when I change the opacity the background gets darker (you can see this). Here a video: opacity - Sendvid

One more question. Why are copy/pasting? Have you tried placing the art?

I also tried to insert a .ai-File: Same Problem. And yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Transparency Blend Space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set a box with C0 M0 Y0 K94 in InDesign and if I place an element from Illustrator with an opacity under 100% on the element, the element gets darker than before although the color code is the same.

If your Edit>Transparency Blend Space is set to Document RGB your 94% K would get converted to a 4-color mix and its appearance would change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are CMYK. Also the Illustrator file.

Edit: If I create a PDF file everything is all right. The problem occurs only in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you open Separation Preview and check the fill's output values is it 0|0|0|94 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question. Why are copy/pasting? Have you tried placing the art?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to insert a .ai-File: Same Problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be related to several things.

If it's a black (K-only) screen representation issue, your "Appearance of Black" settings in Indesign can be adjusted, settings depending on your goals.

Could be your transparency blending space settings, depending of course on the placed object and how Indesign has been told to deal with whatever it is.

Could be color profile mismatch, depending again on your Indesign file's specific color profile and the color profile of the placed file and also how Indesign has been told to deal with color profile mis-matches. (Indesign might set to convert the placed file through RGB color space even if it is a native CMYK file, resulting in a "rich" CMYK build which will display differently than K-only.)

Without knowing all your color workflow and preference settings, it's hard to diagnose. But try a couple things right off: 1. Using Indesign's Separations Preview mode (Window>Output>Separations Preview, then choose "Preview" from the View pop-up menu) basically forces Indesign to render everything to CMYK visual equivalent rather than displaying various elements on the fly. It slows down screen redraw, of course, but can help you track down CMYK conversion and black rendering issues. And 2. Adding a white (paper) rectangle under your whole page renders the page to a white background rather than transparent, which can help you figure out transparency issues. Depending on your document/pref settings, this can change the screen display of transparent objects' darkness.

Sorry for the shotgun approach. There are SO MANY variables when dealing with color matching, space, profiles, and conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines