• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed my mind about seeing jpegs

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I am not at one with Google, Siri or any other search engines, so I am going to ask it again. I checked off the preference to "Treat jpeg files next to RAW files as separate photos." Now I want to untreat jpeg files like RAW files and not see them in my Lightroom library. Do I just remove the jpegs from the library but not from the disk? Will they still be identified as sidecar files? How do I filter the jpegs to remove them quicker? A response would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

You can go to the grid mode in the library and choose to show all photographs. Then filter on file type and choose to show the JPEG images. Select all of them and choose to remove them. That will remove them from the Lightroom catalog, but they will remain on your hard drive. Lightroom will not recognize them as sidecar files because they will not be part of the Lightroom catalog. But they will be on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to the grid mode in the library and choose to show all photographs. Then filter on file type and choose to show the JPEG images. Select all of them and choose to remove them. That will remove them from the Lightroom catalog, but they will remain on your hard drive. Lightroom will not recognize them as sidecar files because they will not be part of the Lightroom catalog. But they will be on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But caution for the OP.

Selecting ALL jpgs this way will remove ALL jpg files from the catalog, whether they are companion 'sidecar' versions of raws or if they are single files (without a companion raw).

A more elegant method might be to use a 'Duplicate Finder' plug-in, then view the files with the 'Duplicate' keyword and select and remove the jpgs only.

Best 'Free' plugin for finding duplicates- Teekesselchen: Home

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good information. When jpeg files are not treated as separate files they are not visible. Are you saying they are part of the Lightroom catalog Even though theyvare not visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying they are part of the Lightroom catalog Even though they are not visible?

I do not think so. As far as I know they have no influence on anything in Lightroom (even though some refer to them as 'sidecar' type files) when preferences are set to NOT  "treat...as separate photos"

But it would be important for Lightroom to copy them to hard-disk storage when importing from a camera card, so Lightroom must consider them in any Import (read "Download") process.

I set my cameras to 'RAW only' some years ago and have never regretted it. I can easily (very easily- with Export Presets) create JPGs at any time if needed. I can get better images from my raw files also, so having the 'hidden' jpgs would just be "space hogs" for me.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. JPEG images are just a nuisance. They can be created quickly when needed using the export process, so I only take raw images. When I need a JPEG image, I export it and use it, and then it is deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to all for the advice. I will remove the jpegs from the Lightroom folders as described in the first reply to my original post (so I no longer see both files). Sometime I just shoot Raw, but often I shoot RAW + jpeg, because as an architect, I shoot photos at jobsites and then upload the jpegs to the project folder, without the need to do any developing. That's not my job when I'm working. And anyway, I don't have Lightroom at the office. I also shoot family photos in both formats so I can share the jpegs without any development time. And then, when I have time I develop RAW files, watch Youtube videos on the art of photography, and read useful advice from people like you on community forums. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines