Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for recommendtaion

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some expert recommendation for a new computer I'm aiming to build. Of course, budget is an issue but I've narrowed down few options and I'll really like to hear your thoughts. I'm working mainly on Premiere and After Effects. So here are my options:

1. CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K / 1151 Tray 3.6 GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 GV-N1070D5-8GD-B

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME – Z270-A

Memory: 2X16 DDR4

2. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AM4 Box

GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-O6G

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO

3. CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K 2011-V3 Box

GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING

Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A

4. CPU: INTEL i7 5820K 6 cores 3.3GHZ

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1

5. CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 / 1151 Tray

GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 SUPER JETSTREAM 8GB 

6. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X AM4 Box

GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-6G

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

As you can see, I can invest either in a stronger CPU or a stronger GPU, can't afford both.

Any ideas what is the best combination?

Thank you all!

Jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 or 8 core with gtx 1060 is a good match for adobe software. by the way, the motherboards in config #3 and #4 aren't compatible with those cpu's. if you ok with overclocking, the ryzen 1700 (non-x) may be the best value as it can be overclocked to around 3.8ghz with a good x370 motherboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COOL! Thank you!

So what is your opinion on this one?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz AM4

GPU: Asus GTX 1060 DUAL 6GB GDDR5 DVI 2xHDMI 2xDP PCI-E

MOTHERBOARD:

Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AM4, AMD X370, DDR4, 3xPCI-

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Kit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure about the motherboard. i haven't looked into the motherboards too closely, but it seems decent to pair with the ryzen 1700.

you want fast memory for ryzen, like ddr4-3000+ speeds. the corsair lpx seems to be compatible with ryzen, but you may also want to check the motherboards support website for the memory qvl. some memory combo's like 2 vs 4 sticks, as well as the size of each stick, can impact how fast the memory can run at. so you might not get ddr4-3000 speeds, but you can still buy memory kits around that speed as long as they are decently priced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Ronin.

By the way, you said not to buy the RYZEN 1700 X. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i said the 1700 non-x is considered the best value... i didn't say not to buy the 1700x or 1800x etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have some recommendation for any other specifications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll also need an aftermarket (third-party) CPU cooler for that CPU: None of the LGA 2011-3 CPUs come with one. In addition, with the sixth- and seventh-generation LGA 115# CPUs with unlocked multipliers (denoted with a K), a third-party cooler is required since they no longer come with one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 core intel should be fine/good too. its not as important as on ryzen, but faster memory speeds can still be slightly helpful with the intel system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ronin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sums it up what you think is a better combination?

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AM4 Box 8

Motherboard: MSI X370

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 VR Ready GV-N1060WF2-6GD

With 32 GB RAM 4ddr 2400GHZ

or

CPU: Intel i7 6800K 2011-V3

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 VR Ready GV-N1060WF2-6GD

With 32 GB RAM 4ddr 2400GHZ

Will really appreciate your opinion.

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

huh? B350 can get to at least 3.8ghz stock aircooler. the X370 is for SLI gfx. make sure you update bios and windows 10 updates before using adobe; tons of code stability updates. make ram at least 2666 it will cancel out the lower clock speed so it runs similar to 4.0 ghz.

get a couple high capacity 850 evos for storage/os. the 960 evo might be out of your price range but its m.2 is much faster. you can also easily overlock the gtx 1060 and your ram if its the right die.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere often only uses 4-6 cpu cores, so in those scenarios the intel cpu would be faster. if your projects in premiere do use more than 6 cores, or you are multi-tasking while exporting in premiere/ame, then the 8 core ryzen will be better. again, i would recommend faster than ddr4-2400 for both platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris and Ronin,

Thank you both. Chris I actually didn't  understand the first part of your comment... I'm no that Techi

But I do have an Evo 960 500GB M.2 and a lot of good parts i'm putting from my previous PC including a cooler.

I do work with Premiere and AE and sometimes PS and AI together.  I'm confuse from the tow options...

But I do appreciate your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not specify which CPU cooler from your previous PC that you already have. I'm asking this because not all currently available CPUs have the same mount for the cooler. If your old PC is an old LGA 775 or LGA 1366 CPU-based system, then you may need a new cooler or a new mounting kit for that cooler and any newer CPU socket. On the other hand, if your existing PC is an i7-8xx (LGA 1156) or Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155), then your choices are limited to the i7-6700 or i7-7700 series CPUs unless you somehow manage to locate an LGA 2011-3 mounting kit for your cooler. (And you will have to order a new mounting kit for that cooler if you're going to go with an AMD Ryzen CPU.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NOCTUA NH-D15 in my old PC that I'll use if will decide to go with intel i7.  If I'll go with AMD I'm planing to get Artic Cooling Freezer 13 CO. Basically, I'm planing to buy a whole new system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i find the ryzen 1600 quite interesting as a 6 core although I haven't seen any direct comparisons to 6 core intel. I'm guessing if you overclock it, it will run similar with 3000 ram. It's also very cheap from a cpu price standpoint. I'd still get the 1700 8 core. Also, the 1600 and 1700 come with stock air coolers.

this article has been updated to reflect multiple cpu cores for warp stabilization for ryzen. so you know what you're actually getting.

"They should be pretty much on par with the Core i7 6850K for exporting and rendering previews (for about $100-200 cheaper as well) a number of lightly threaded applications like Photoshop and Lightroom we found that Ryzen is quite a bit slower than the Core i7 7700K. So the choice is to pay 20-30% more for 6-8% faster export and preview generation times, but potentially much lower performance for warp stabilize and in other applications like Photoshop."

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris! I actually read this article a week ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

intel cpu's have around 10-15% faster ipc and can overclock higher, but also cost alot more, up to 3x as much. so there is alot of value in the amd cpu's. i would consider the 6 core ryzen the new entry level config for premiere, over a 4 core intel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would you suggest about GPU? Is Cuda really makes any difference? I'm came a cross some articles which really praised AMD RX480

Now I'm confused with go either with  Sapphire RX 480 8G GDDR5 HDMI Triple DP PCI-E  or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 VR Ready GV-N1060WF2-6GD.

I saw a nice video you can see here that really commended the AMD RYZEN 1700X with RX 480 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_ioGy2dds 

What do you think on this system he is so praising?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would take a 1050 ti over the 480 anyday. besides amd gpu is not fully supported in premiere as nvidia cuda is. you can get a 1050ti for around $110 now. or a 1060 for a little more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris, would you care to elaborate on your statement... which functions aren't supported by amd/opencl?  or were you just repeating posts like RjL's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time I agree with Chris: Adobe's implementation of OpenCL support in Premiere Pro is not as complete as that of CUDA. As such, a few rendering features that are currently done with GPU acceleration in CUDA must be done in software-only mode in OpenCL in Premiere Pro. However, AMD GPUs cannot use CUDA at all while Nvidia GPUs perform relatively poorly in OpenCL (this is why all Windows versions of Premiere Pro CC have OpenCL support disabled with an Nvidia GPU installed, leaving only CUDA and software only as your choices with an Nvidia GPU). As a result, the RX 480 is noticeably slower than it should be when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was true back when cuda was first being implemented in premiere, like cs5-6, but is that still true today after all these years of implementing openCL? do you have a list of the cuda only functions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines