• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the difference between French and French Canadian hyphenation

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also between English UK / USA / Canadian.

There seams to be no documentation about the differences.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An InDesign dictionary contains the spelling of words, along with their hyphenation points. There are numerous spelling differences between English speaking countries: i.e. color (US) vs colour (UK) or behavior (US) vs behaviour (UK). The dictionary will flag the spelling of color when you use a UK English dictionary, or colour when you use a US English Dictionary. The hyphenation points are stored, along with the correct spelling of words, and typically follow the syllables.

UK vs US spelling list

My understanding is that while there are differences in the spoken language and grammar, the spelling is pretty much the same for French and French Canadian, so the hyphenation points would be the same as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why I’m asking is actually that a collaborator told me he had a lot of issue with the French:Canadien hyphenation, but none with the French one. As if it lacked some sophistication.

I was curious to see from my own eyes the differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, and nothing I've ever heard before. Perhaps you could change the language to French and run it by him again, to see if that takes care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe some difference way to hyphenate the same words in both french dictionary. Or even differ nets way to write some words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess there is. Is there any way to open the dictionary file in a readable format to check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jean-Claude Tremblay! I figured you would know best.

But I was thinking about this question last night—is it the hyphenation points your colleague objects to or just the way the hyphens are working in general? There are hyphenation controls that can improve the look—but we need to understand what the issue is.

Compose and hyphenate text in Adobe InDesign

If it's just where the hyphens are allowed/preferred, you can handle this on a word by word basis:

https://indesignsecrets.com/reveal-and-customize-hyphenation-break-points.php

Or you can scroll to the bottom of this file to see how to edit the dictionary:

Spell-check and language dictionaries in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I got, it really is about the hyphenation. With the same settings, changing from French to French:Canadian would appear to make them bad. I’m really mostly curious of opening the files, and having a look at the variation, to try to understand what changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then check out that last link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder. I tried to find them, but I can only find the User Dictionary (/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Linguistics/UserDictionaries/) Do you know where the App ones are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think you will be able to open the dictionary file... if you ever find them.

Without specific words problems it's hard to figure out what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jolin, can you give me a few words that don't hyphenate correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jean-Claude. I don’t have this info; I don’t even know what the differences are. It is mostly an assumption from him I think. Which is the reason I want to have a look into the Hunspell dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines