• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to find downloadable After Effects cc 2017 User Guide?

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but where can I find a .pdf of the After Effects cc 2017 User Guide?  I know there is a searchable online user guide, but frankly, it's not as good as older versions of other Adobe User Guides I've had.  Although I'm a subscriber to the Creative Cloud, I can't seem to find a downloadable .pdf of the User Guide.  How am I supposed to look up needed info when I don't have an internet connection?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Jorge

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

There's this https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/after_effects_reference.pdf  which you can download on your hard drive (with working bookmarks & links even).  And it would subject to system (CTRL+F) searches

And then there's this After Effects Help | After Effects User Guide which is online only & not searchable in any inuttive way.  You can here by clicking help inside AE but not directly.   If you don't notice the little "user guide" link at the top of the page you'll quickly be pulling you hair out t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moved to After effects forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's this https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/after_effects_reference.pdf  which you can download on your hard drive (with working bookmarks & links even).  And it would subject to system (CTRL+F) searches

And then there's this After Effects Help | After Effects User Guide which is online only & not searchable in any inuttive way.  You can here by clicking help inside AE but not directly.   If you don't notice the little "user guide" link at the top of the page you'll quickly be pulling you hair out trying to use the useless search function.

Why not have the Apps help link link you to the the apps user guide?   Because that would smart & useful, of course

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a search help the field at the top right corner of AE that you should use define help and community resources.

After Effects is a very complicated program with a very complex UI and it would be extremely helpful to go to the Adobe product page and go through some basic training.

Adobe After Effects Learn & Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, the main problem with that (other than needing to be online which was the OPs question) is its searches are not limited to after effects...Post search you can filter it to AE but once you follow a link then the filters get reset to search every Adobe application including every forum for every application. It's a downright STUPID system.   Download the pdf gives a clear linear structure and most importantly you can easily search it.

When someone is trying to learn after effects you think a help system that returns results for over 20 different application & 20 different user forums is helpful?  It's been too long.   I'd bet you $10,000 when you learned AE the help was not organized in this way.  It's stupid, un-intuitive, confusing system.

The "Adobe help & support" link is bloated & ill perceived

The help should link to the applications reference guide and the search results should default to ONLY the applications reference guide.

It's freakin common sense.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it is a sign of the times and the Adobe plan as to updating guides: the date on the pdf is 6/18/16.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stan+Jones  wrote

the date on the pdf is 6/18/16.

That's pretty good, no?  I was actually impressed it had been updated that recently. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. Yes, pretty good by current standards! But it is not the "old school" where every version got an updated pdf.

The problem, as suggested above, is that the search options for the online version are so poor that you can't find what you know is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bring back the thick Book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish:  Thank you so much for these links.  This is exactly what I was looking for!

Also, I completely agree with everything you said regarding Adobe's online User Guide tool.  Searching for something specific is a bit maddening!  Plus, the results are less than specific and I don't often, if ever, find graphics or screen shots to illustrate what is discussed.

Thanks again.  You've transformed my workflow when I either don't know how to do something in After Effects or need more information on the options of a particular effect or function.  Searching a .pdf user guide for info is so much more efficient than Googling for the info or using the aforementioned online User Guide tool.

Rick:  Thanks for your suggestions.  I've already been through basic training, so I'm needing information for some more advanced procedures/effects.  As I mentioned above, the online User Guide is frustrating to use and time consuming.  After searching, I have to weed through the results to discover which ones are specific to cc  2017 (or, at least, 2015) vs. much earlier versions, and then start clicking around to see which document has the needed information.

Gutter-Fish and Rick:  Thanks again, guys!  Your willingness to chime in and help is what these forums are all about!

Take care,

Jorge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Not a problem.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines