• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with shared file names.

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to move photos from a few folders into one folder in Lightroom but some photos share the same file name.  Can Lightroom rename for me or am I out of luck?

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum by a moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Lightroom will not automatically rename files during a MOVE when source/destination files have the same name.  You will have to rename before the move.  To avoid duplicate filename from multiple Canon cameras I rename them immediately after import.  For instance, a file from my 5D2 gets renamed from IMG_1234 to 5D2A-1234 with the A changing to a B with a number rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still not sure I just downloaded it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will not automatically rename files during a MOVE when source/destination files have the same name.  You will have to rename before the move.  To avoid duplicate filename from multiple Canon cameras I rename them immediately after import.  For instance, a file from my 5D2 gets renamed from IMG_1234 to 5D2A-1234 with the A changing to a B with a number rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom will not rename the conflicting files for you during the move into a single folder.

I get around this problem by renaming the files as yyyymmdd_hhmmss_nnnn.xxx where the timestamp is the capture date from the EXIF data and nnnn is the original file number. Thus, I never have any duplicate file names whether shooting 1 or multiple cameras. I also reset the file number back to 1 in the camera at the start of every even/shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines