• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"After Effects has stopped working" every few minutes during render

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a green screen replacement and during render, within a fifteen minutes, windows will pop up that After Effects has stopped working and then the program closes. I've been rendering to a TIFF sequence so that i can start back where I left off, but I have 40min. of footage which will take an estimated 80 or so hours to render. So having to start it again every fifteen minutes isn't really an option.

The comp (From top to bottom)

Light Wrap: Baked Background plate with gaussian blur, channel blur, and set mattes

KEY: A pre-comp of several layers source footage with their own instance of key light. For the comps I need to render it varies between 2-3 layers. Visibility is off and serves as a matte.

Despilled footage: Has color balance, lumetri color, advanced spill suppressor, grain removal, and unsharp mask.

Shadow: Footage crushed black using levels, blurred, and moved to the side

Background: Baked background plate

I'm running After Effects 14.2.1 on Windows 10. Intel i5 3.2GHz, 32GB of RAM.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check you project settings, are you using the GPU to accelerate the supported effects? if so, turn it off (software only) and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned off GPU acceleration, no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang. sounds like a nightmare. I just had a keying project that that crashed each render due to bad GPU on some workstations. my guess is that it's Lumetri that failed my GPU. just to make sure, we're talking about this menu:

other than that, my advice is to try to isolate your problem. I take it this happens regardless of a specific frame? what if you disable a certain effect? see where it's breaking.

another advice is to try a different Ae version. save a copy as CC (13) and try 2015.3 if it works better.

maybe reset your preferences might do the trick

try rendering to another drive

try different format if you can

try prerendering certain precomps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rendering the next comp I noticed I still had Chrome open, closed Chrome and AE Crashed. While I know that's not the case for the other times I'm wondering if it could be related to the real issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone into task manager and quit every process under Chrome. Now to wait and see if it still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was looking good for a while, finished one render, went on to the one and After Effects crashed in five minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing any screen preblur from your Keylight effects. I've seen a number of people have issues with preblur in the Keylight effect causing crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just double checked my project. No screen pre-blur is on any of the keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec is your footage with the keys? If it's native files from the camera (and your camera shoots into a compressed H.264 variant), that has also been known to cause occasional problems. Try transcoding your footage into DNxHD or Cineform (or other similar intermediate codec) and then key that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The footage had already been pre-rendered to DNxHD as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, crap. The usual suspects seem to be dealt with.

What happens if you completely power off your computer, then power it on, open nothing but AE, and try rendering? (Also, check what programs are set to auto-start when you reboot).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi MassAwesomeOne,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines